Love in the Time of COVID-19

I live here, so please don’t assume we’re all ignorant assholes… I’d like to think that I’m not (I’m sure that the good folks here will keep me honest). The ATL is pretty blue and let’s not forget that Kemp was the guy running the last election before he won.

7 Likes

Is this a local store, or a national chain?

4 Likes

I know. I realized it would make Jimmy Carter cry, but I couldn’t pass the opportunity.

It’s a local store. We don’t have any national chain groceries in my corner of Southwest Detroit. There are other grocery stores in the vicinity, and if I drive over to Dearborn there are three Krogers to choose from. There are also Meijers not too far away, in neighboring cities.

It’s just… my parents were bringing me to this store since I was a toddler. It’s always been there, you know? And if the grocery stores start closing… it’s scary.

9 Likes

Welcome to our world for the last few weeks!

5 Likes

But hey, reminding me I’m lesser than because of where I live is a-okay, I guess…

1 Like

I’m so sorry. That’s just terrifying to read. Hope he’s wrong about the riots, but I hope you have a place to bug out to if shit gets that bad. Take care.

4 Likes

My neighbors seem to be having a party. It may be just their household, but it sure doesn’t sound like it.

2 Likes

This is a good time to find the small ‘ethnic’ markets in your area and give them some business. When my wife was shopping and finding the big name grocery stores empty of a lot of things, I suggested the local Indian shop, and no surprise, they were fully-stocked. Plenty of foodstuff of all types, and they sell some staple things like flour, beans, and rice in large packages. (Also, spices there are really cheap and really good.)

Reminds me of a massive snowstorm that hit when I was living in the south, several feet of snow, roads closed, everything, even Wal-Mart was closed, but the little Chinese shop was still open and operating normally.

These places, and the people that work in them, are our secret strength.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, that’s not available to everyone. It’s a good idea for those of us who can take advantage of that.

[ETA] I just remembered that there is an ethiopian shop near us… hmmm… who doesn’t like injera?

6 Likes

Went grocery shopping and piled my cart high because making groceries is the scariest thing I do now and I don’t want to do it again anytime soon.

I was in mask and gloves as were a few others. None of the employees wore any gear. Many of the other shoppers were young and healthy with lots of skin exposed and 4 items in a basket. Was I over preparing? because the mayor just put the whole city on shelter in place - no.

The store had a good amount of fresh produce but a lot of items were out that normally are always full - dry beans, yeast, eggs - only the ones from abused chickens were left. No ground turkey or chicken.

It was very sparsely packed. A person cams on the loudspeaker reminding us to practice social distancing. I felt like I was on the set of a Sci-fi movie.

The store closed at 8. Hopefully I dong need to return for a while. I could use some dried beans though.

6 Likes

I agree. The manager closing the store is more likely to lead to instability than prevent it.

1 Like

I deleted it.

2 Likes

The satellites should be able to spot the mass graves. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes
2 Likes

references, among other things:

1 Like

My first thought looking at that image was that, yeah, we shouldn’t be hysterical or panicky. It’s not going to help either way.

Then I started reading the thread, and… whoooboy. Especially when he starts taking graphs of the virus spread rise/fall in a country and comparing them to a bell curve. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

these are old tweets, btw, but the thread’s fun.

5 Likes

In the case of the rim of the bell, keeping it in the crenellations has been key to the HIV battle. It’s failed a few times.

2 Likes