Love in the Time of COVID-19

And here is some GREAT news!

7 Likes

Last week, all staff at my company were “encouraged” to work from home. But people still went to the office. So this week, the offices are officially closed. Working from home is mandatory. They haven’t quite disabled everyone’s keycards yet, but I wonder if that will be the next step.

4 Likes

whole foods ran out of flour and pasta.

The flour shortage may put a damper on my regular routine.

6 Likes

I’m going to make a bold prediction — no, they cannot.

4 Likes
5 Likes

"The attempt to deflect and blame the media and Democrats from Trish Regan, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Lou Dobbs, Jesse Watters, and Greg Gutfeld – instead of addressing the coronavirus – is really irresponsible and hazardous to our viewers," a Fox producer told me earlier this week . “It’s also ironic they’re accusing the media of fear-mongering given our infamous coverage of the migrant caravan back in 2018.”

https://view.newsletters.cnn.com/messages/1584069038272bd0127023141/raw

5 Likes

The network at work was slow as hell from all the traffic from WFH being routed through the Bay Area. Or something.

4 Likes

I like the title change btw. Too much stuff about work.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Awful people and their chickens, roosting.

3 Likes

this calls for crocodile tears.

7 Likes

And it’s COVID-19, not CORVID.

7 Likes

15 Likes

9 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

3/13

Working from home day 2.

I get up at regular time. This is not a vacation. There is nothing I can do, but I also cannot enjoy myself. It’s amazing how physically ill I feel. On my iPad I see work piling up, outside my window are billowing clouds of Coronavirus.

A miracle! The laptop computers that were promised by the company will soon be available. We will be told when they can be picked-up at the closest Apple Store. I have no sofa or bed currently, so I crawl back onto my NeoAir Dream and try to relax.

I still worry. Considering all the chaos that has been created by the company’s method for working remotely, how can we be sure an off-the-shelf computer will be able to connect to the company’s internal networks? We can’t. Furthermore, it could take days for my slow network to download all the necessary applications from Creative Cloud.

That’s when I had a revelation. In an email I received yesterday, a broker mentioned going into the office to pick up a computer. So the doors are actually open. When I get the new computer, I will take it to the office and use their network to download everything I need. Great. Then I had another revelation. If I’m there, why not just use the desktop computer. Alone in an empty office is just as safe as being alone in my empty apartment.

It’s amazing how much better I felt. So around 12:30 I ventured out into the toxic world.

It felt like I had been inside for weeks. The subway was virtually empty. It was like the Memorial Day weekend. Everyone sat far away from each other.

I got an Americano, headed into the office and started digging myself out of the hole. A few other people were there.

At 3:30 the email arrived announcing my computer was ready to be picked up. It’s a good thing I didn’t wait, there was no way I could have gotten that up and running before the sunset.

By 6:30 I’m ready to return home. I stopped in Brooklyn Heights to buy a few groceries. Everything there seemed normal.

When I got to the Apple Store, they had a velvet rope and a bouncer outside the doors. I would have to wait in line. Only so many people were allowed in at a time. They should probably make this change permanent.

I decided to pick it up on Sunday. No work can be done in Saturday anyway.

10 Likes

Sent to me by a friend in Australia. Great read!

7 Likes

You just wrote part of a movie, I believe. I mean, I dunno if it’s you or I, but I can see it. I have no idea what you or your residence looks like, and only an outsider’s book-and-film knowledge of NYC. Still, that’s enough to fill in the gaps.

Here, it’s…here. Schools are closed. Still getting USPS service. No one has demonized the Hmong family who live in the house north of me. During the week, though, there were still school buses going up and down the street, and folks seem to be going back and forth to work as usual.

LOL, a Dr. Faust is a medical director of Oakland County…anyhow, here’s the latest from the GLS (Great Lakes State)

5 Likes

I went to two grocery stores this morning, which is my usual approach.

One has good meats, but everything else is really high price. The other is good for everything else, including a nice Mexican foods section.

The grocery with the in person butchers was full of people with full carts, all talking about coronavirus and buying toilet paper. The other one was totally normal, like every other time I’ve been there for years.

Kinda weird, but I was able to buy everything I wanted.

10 Likes

I went yesterday to a small, non-chain grocery at about 3:00 pm and it was full of food, even had tp (which I didn’t buy as we’re always stocked up). People seemed normal. But the store was filling up with folks by the time I checked out.

3 Likes
1 Like