Love in the Time of COVID-19

Today I went to a dentist appointment. It was a weird experience. Pre-screened by phone, filled out the paperwork online instead of in the office. They had people waiting outside in their cars instead of in the waiting room, and told us to wear masks for the very brief period between entering and going back to get worked on. Took my temperature with a laser thermometer, had me wash my hands. They aren’t able to get N95 masks, so they were doubling up on masks plus big plastic face shields. I was kind of appalled at how much spray wound up on the hygienist’s mask by the time the appointment was done. Dentistry is gross.

I bought gas for my Prius for the first time since March 17. $12 to fill the tank and I’m good for the next 400 miles or so. I wonder what month it will be the next time I need to gas up?

6 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

6/02

This morning I got a call from my manager. He never calls with good news. Since we started working at home, he only calls with some impossible task he needs done or to let me know everyone’s been fired.

For example, he called yesterday afternoon around 4:00. He needed a 45-page book completely revised by this morning.

But in todays call he sounded more nervous. He hemmed and hawed by asking how I was. Was there any craziness in my neighborhood? He hoped thing would soon be getting back to normal. He sounded like he was passing time by talking about the weather rather than a battle against fascism. I’m generally reluctant to discuss politics at work. Especially since I know there are a lot of suburban Trump-supporters in high positions in the company. You can never tell what tales get passed around.

He eventually got to he point. He had some bad news. I thought “oh, so I’m fired.” I cared a little. With everything that’s going on I was to exhausted to care very much.

No, that wasn’t it. He was calling to let me know that everyone — everyone from the top down — was having to take a 10% reduction in pay. Why was he nervous to tell me that? What am I going to do, look for another job?

He started apologizing. At this point the call was starting to get annoying. I had a lot of work to do and was very tired. I felt like saying “it might have been better to have done this a month-and-a-half ago instead of firing everyone.” But you should never be completely frank with a manager. And rudeness wouldn’t achieve anything.

Having more people would certainly have been handy. I was working until 11:30 to get that rush project done last night. But, on the other hand, there were no protests going on where I live, so what else did I have to do? I might as well obey the curfew.

6 Likes

That makes some sense…

3 Likes

Sweden has counted 4,468 deaths and 38,589 infections in a population of 10 million, while Denmark, Norway and Finland have imposed lockdowns and seen far lower rates.

Denmark has seen 580 deaths, Norway has had 237 deaths and Finland 320.

5 Likes
5 Likes

No one in Utah knows how to read a basic chart?

8 Likes

I assume they just plain won’t, because of the trump loyalty oath.

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
– 1984

8 Likes

I think the chart just doesn’t have enough dollar signs to keep the politicians interested.

7 Likes

Sure they do. See? It’s going down.

10 Likes

Looks like a pregnant woman. Why doesn’t this surprise me for Utah?

EWWWW, NO … someone on FB posted the “tanning” photo of the current POTUS…you know, where he’s getting sprayed…and that’s what else it reminds me of.

But, it still doesn’t surprise me for Utah.

3 Likes

Okay, so I’ve been without a job for the nearly an entire year. Did you know that prospective employers can and will judge applicants on their credit record? I think that’s why I can’t get a job. I don’t qualify for UIA benefits, but I can’t - and won’t - do “essential” work until there’s a vaccine for COVID-19. Oh yeah, there’s that can’t-lift-5 lbs.-for-work thing, too. I ain’t gonna sell my house, either. SIGH.

6 Likes
5 Likes

5 Likes

Was this obvious to anyone else? It wasn’t to me till I saw this. Makes sense.

9 Likes

I posted about it at another place, but just my own ideas. This gives professional opinions that support that, so thank you for sharing.

Even with proper distancing initially, and masks and all, when the tear gas hits and the belligerent cops charge and everything turns into a tight melee, it’s going to get messy. People are going to be pulling their masks off, struggling to breathe, in close proximity. Running, gasping in lungfuls of air, in a crowd of people coughing. I can’t think of a more effective way to spread the disease.

7 Likes

And when covid19 spikes again the protesters are going to be blamed. Even if it’s not till October.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

6/06

Shopping at the Target located in the Atlantic Terminal Mall is starting to become routine again. For a number of weeks, when the PAUSE started, I stayed away. The journey to a large transit hub itself felt risky, let alone mixing with crowds of shoppers. Now I’m back to making a weekly trip there.

During the past week I had planned on finding a protest near Atlantic Terminal I could attend. It’s very difficult to find any concrete information about upcoming protests. But since I found local protests, I decided I would keep things local. On Saturday I could simply go in, get what I needed, and leave.

The doors connecting the Terminal to the Mall were locked. There was a Target employee stationed outside the doors. She was wearing a polo shirt with a Target logo on it. She told me I would have to enter the Target from outside. Mysterious.

So I walked out the doors facing the intersection of Atlantic and Flatbush Avenues. There, slowly passing by the Barclays Center, were a pair of police vans with their lights flashing. Behind them was a row of police in protective gear slowly walking, spanning the width of the street. Behind them was a lot of people.

Flatbush Avenue had become a slowly-moving river of people. It was slow, but deliberate. Almost mesmerizing. Like seeing a cruise ship slowly sail by.

Traffic on Atlantic Avenue was cut off. At one point a firetruck needed to cross Flatbush Avenue. The marchers parted to let it pass with cheers and applause.

In spite of my fears of joining a large crowd of people, seeing this filled with a subtle joy and great relief. I knew I would have to join them. Traffic wasn’t going anywhere, so I crossed the street, took the Telecoco out of my canvas shopping bag and entered the march.

As I walked along Flatbush Avenue towards the towering new Brooklyn skyline, I was struck with a thought: This is what cities are for. Better thoughts. Better ways. The United States should not be embarrassed by these protests. This is the most positive thing this country has done in the past 12 years.

All the protesters I saw were wearing masks and maintaining a social distance. The same could not be said about the police.

Whole Foods, Modell’s and the Apple Store had their windows boarded up. The smaller stores did not.

I looked behind me. I hadn’t realized I was so close to the tail-end of the march. There was another line of riot police and their vans following-up the rear. I picked-up my pace a little.

There were a variety of chants. A motorcyclist reved-up his engine with his fist in the air. This got applause and a cheer. A driver of a USPS truck blew his horn with his fist in the air. This also got applause and a cheer.

As the march turned down Fulton Street, which is narrower, the march slowed almost to a stop. I decided this would be a good time to leave it. After-all, I came up there to do my weekly shopping. I was also a bit afraid of what the police were planning if the march stopped moving — perhaps corralling people in a narrow street was part of their plan. As protests go I had merely dipped my toe in the water.

I walked back to the Target by walking east on Fulton Street. It’s amazing how normal everything could seem with a global event happening a street away.

I noticed the Atlantic Terminal Mall had its windows boarded up too. I found the side entrance I was directed towards in the first place. There was line waiting to go in. I thought about leaving but I was also curious what was going on.

They had barriers set-up for the line. After about 20 minutes I got to the side entrance. A small team of security guards were keeping track of how many people were in the store at a time. Although it was only 2:30, the store was apparently closing soon.

There was also a crowd of police standing outside the side entrance. Seeing police gathered in large numbers does not make me feel safe. I feel the same way I do when looking at a swarm of bees. The police were standing together shooting the breeze, none of them were wearing masks.

So I got to see how Target was letting people into the store. I have no idea if was this due to fear of COVID-19 or fear of the protests.

After that the rest of my day went quite normally.

5 Likes

I’m sorry. This sucks for you. They do indeed look at your credit record, which is bullshit.

I wish I had some good advice to offer you…

7 Likes

In April, as coronavirus infections multiplied and laboratory testing was limited, the CSTE and the CDC advised states to count both probable cases and deaths — where symptoms and exposure pointed to infection — along with those confirmed by tests.

Yet weeks after the guidance was handed down to standardize coronavirus reporting, a Post review found states as of early June counting cases and deaths in all sorts of ways.

At least 24 states are not heeding the national guidelines on reporting probable cases and deaths, despite previously identifying probable cases in other national outbreaks, including H1N1 flu during the country’s last pandemic in 2009.

7 Likes