At this time in the office code base…

Office 2016 (MSI Install)
Office 2016 (Click to Run Install)
Office 365
Office (Microsoft Store)
Office (Google Play Store)
Office (Apple Store)

oh, and Office 365 Online

and possibly a slightly different version on the Surface Hub, but that probably has changed by now to one of the other versions

2 Likes

Add USB Drive or SDCard to facilitate updating.

But, yes. Nothing with only 32GB of storage should have been sold with W10 to the general public.

5 Likes

I’m posting from an old Dell with ¼ of one G of RAM, running the current version of Linux.

What are the commercial operating systems DOING with all that memory :confused:

4 Likes

Tried, doeant work. Fresh install may be the answer

1 Like

What is Only, and why does it require Microsoft Office 2019 to run on Windows 10?

2 Likes

It’s a customer machine. I hate that Windows Store apps only allow the latest build to download. I don’t like being tje bearer of bad news. Windows 10 “cloudbooks” are such pieces of shit, they ought to be banned.

3 Likes

Windows 10 S? Yeah. Bit of a non-starter. I see what they are trying to do, but MS isn’t there with their eco system.

I would suspect so. You are familiar with the Media Creation Tool, I assume

Selling our privacy to the highest bidder, of course.

4 Likes

making javascript run really quickly.

7 Likes

Well
Bloat out over all avaliable memory
???
Profit
Thats my understanding.

4 Likes

There’s plenty to go around.

2 Likes

LTSB? CBB?

What do you mean by this? What can’t be upgraded from 1607?

They would be using Windows Server anyway.

Supposedly this can use virtualization a-la AppV to run Win32 code transparently. This may actually be really cool if done well (but it may also end up being a disaster).

3 Likes

Windows Polaris, more like WINEdows Polaris amiright.

It took the Xbox One team, what, two years to implement the Xbox360 API after the Xbone launch? If anybody can crack reimplementing the API in a virtualized environment, it’s that team.

I suspect we’ll see 10S replace standard Win10 on new devices, with Polaris replacing Pro. Given how hinky and undocumented the many kludges to Win32 behaviour are, MS is likely limiting the virtualized environment to WinStore anyway. MS would be stupid to out in the effort and not capitalize on taking a 30% share of revenue supporting those applications.

Like Cory says, the war on general purpose computing has begun.

2 Likes

Thats fine except 8Gb of ram still seems to be sold as the norm for some backwards assed reason.

2 Likes

My 7 year old laptop, which won’t be replaced until the new Spectre/Meltdown proof CPUs are released and debugged, has 16Gbytes.
I guess 8Gbytes is sufficient for email and limited web browsing.:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

My 6 year old laptop, which sees a bit more activity than that :slight_smile:, has 8GB.

I’ve been keeping am eye out for the last three years towards getting a replacement – my traditional replacement rate – and never bought.

The machines I’d consider replacements all have the same 8GB of RAM, 250GB more HDD space (1TB up from 750GB), and a better but nothing to write home about CPU. Since my hard drive is less than halfway full, it’s just not been worth it.

4 Likes

you do have an ssd, don’t you?

2 Likes

LTSC (terminology change from a year ago) is 5 years support + 5 years extended and is not designed for end user machines. Does it work and are companies rolling it out? Yes. But that is not what it is designed for and is not as secure, nor does it support modern features of the hardware.

CB\CBB are now SAC (Semi-annual Channel) and are 18 Months for Home, Pro and 24 months for Enterprise & Education

Some. Some large business. My company ditched the AS-400s right at the turn of the century. I know our ERP system can run in a browser, but not efficient. So Fat Client for everyone. From my experience, large businesses run on Excel.

From what reading I saw this weekend Windows 10 S is going to become “S-Mode” (i.e. - secure mode) and can be toggled via GPO

I’ve specified 8GB for two years now in the corporate machines. Two years ago, it was so we wouldn’t have to upgrade them before the machine was retired. Today 8GB still looks fine for most workers, but the “Engineering Laptop” with 32GB is becoming popular with the Finance folks. (Remember I said businesses run on Excel?) And are running 64-bit office to be productive. What would be more productive would be an application other than Excel, but I am not willing to die on THAT hill.

4 Likes

Why would I want one? They have limited writes, and I always keep everything backed up.

2 Likes

It’s a bloated piece of software code that business think is the “standard” and really hasn’t changed much. It allows you to type documents and do spreadsheets. Microsoft thinks that it’s something you have to pay and pay and pay for and if you don’t, your life is worthless.

^^^THIS

Or MS could learn how to optimize an OS to run in that instead of trying to just take over another market

Outside of running services I don’t need and background programs that are unneeded for a home PC, nothing that I can see.

This man does the Lord’s work
Take control of those Windows services!!

Greed pure and simple

4 Likes

If Excel was removed from all business machines tomorrow, the entire system would collapse.

9 Likes