Mozilla Pulls Trigger, Blows Foot Off By Killing XUL-based addons

Yeah, I haven’t heard anything good about customising the CSS. Let us know if you make any progress.

3 Likes

A tab throbber is the animation that shows when a tab is loading. This one earns the name. It doesn’t give me headaches, but I’m lucky that not much does, and it was no surprise to hear it has that effect on some others. Really, I don’t see how it should have gotten through usability testing, and for no real improvement.

The tabs themselves were worse to me; I found the blue line a constant distraction, like a pattern with one bright tile out of place. I have a userChrome.css file to partly revert these two things, and could PM a copy if you wanted to try it. Unfortunately it doesn’t always work when the program is busy, which is exactly when the throbber appears, so it isn’t adequate for anyone hurt by that.

5 Likes

Firefox’s tab loading indicators. They’re animated so that you can feel that tabs are loading when you’re looking at another part of the screen, and for hours after they’re finished.

3 Likes

I know that I say this in every conversation about browsers but Brave is really worth a try:

Ad, script, cookie and fingerprint blocking as standard, customisable by tab or by website. HTTPS Everywhere enabled by default.

The thing I like most about it is the ease with which one can switch on or off each part of the blocking, so if you think a website is particularly shady or if the blocking is killing parts of a website that you actually want to see, you can quickly adjust the settings as needed.

5 Likes

Brave is really good in terms of integrated privacy protection. From the father of JavaScript himself - the talented Brendan Eich.

(He’s also a notable for helping fund Prop 8, the anti-gay plebiscite in California).

That said, Brave is my dedicated mobile browser as Firefox Mobile isn’t quite up to par yet.

4 Likes

What accessibility options does it have?

Trying to test unknown browsers to see if they’re safe is an easy way to get hurt. Trying to configure any browser to make it safe is an easy way to get hurt. Step-by-step safty instructions might help.

1 Like

It’s Chromium under the hood; limited options of increasing readability and not many ways of limiting animation.

2 Likes

Can I add search engines from Mycroft on iOS? I guess I will have to find out.

3 Likes

I’ve not tried that, I’m afraid.

I will say that I installed the iOS version on my ageing work iPhone 6 and it was noticeably slower than it is on my personal S7.

I’m not sure whether it was just that the phone was long in the tooth or if it was the comparative lack of RAM that was the issue but I was definitely less impressed by the iOS version.

2 Likes

I know. I use Scrivener though. I may have to dump Winders because of it. I wish I didn’t need to dump Linux over it too. It’s not like MacOs is good either. Don’t get me started on the tuuls who think MacOs is some kind of transcendental leap over the garbage heap that is Windowshit. It ain’t. But the concerns of MO folks are going to go away just like the denizens of OS/2.

4 Likes

I like it so far, but do you know the business model?

Who are they selling my clicks to?

1 Like