Not Feminism 101

I guarantee you’ve seen acres less snow. :wink: A few years ago hear in SE MI, our record snow accumulation record was Hulksmashed by a 93" winter total.

8 Likes

Is this a sort of a feminist song?

2 Likes

I have no answers, and refuse to be prescriptive. I guarantee I will come up with the wrong solution.

At exec meetings women always add either impactful strategy (i.e. real leadership), tactical decisions, or nuance that was missed. Every. Time. Doesn’t matter if it is leadership, creative, support. It doesn’t matter.

If an organization ignores 51% of their talent and market… Isn’t that just simply stupid?

12 Likes

Well, I don’t think it passes the Bechdel test…

It would be easy to argue either way, but it addresses the issue @MissyPants brought up:

So in the sense that the song denies that passivity and self-denial are desirable qualities in women, it qualifies.

This one carries the theme a bit further:

2 Likes

But Ms. Sheridan is telling these girls to use their wiles and make themselves “part of the chase”, as well as to “lay a trap”.

I think it’s about feminism in the bedroom; why should women wait and slap wrists? To my ears, she’s singing about being sexual and not just being sexy.

6 Likes

So much this

11 Likes

I got through about 5 minutes before I had seen enough

5 Likes

I can’t watch that show, and I’ve barely been able to do so in the past when it’s been on in someone else’s house. I’ve known and grown up with (me and my brother, for two) with science geeks and believe me you, we didn’t end up like that.

It’s like they tried to make a sitcom of …oh, I don’t know, Oppenheimer or someone like that, only let’s make it FUNNY! As in “The Fisher King” when the TV execs want to make a show about homeless guys who are HAPPY being homeless.

Oh geez, I’ve not taken my Effexor.

9 Likes

I got through a bit of BBT – it was recommended to me by a friend who is a big feminist (really).

But the misogyny got to me, and that yes, for most episodes they’re not actually being science people got to me. Most of the time they act more like drama nerds. Even though there are plenty of articles about how much research the writers and set dressers do, it seems like they don’t use much.

It’s a show about nerds, at least the Hollywood version of them. It’s not for nerds.

14 Likes

I know, the bit about Sherman being Asperger’s or at least in the ASD spectrum was to me so unreal because that’s just not how Aspies act, for the most part. They’re nearly never snippy on purpose.

10 Likes

A female duet that isn’t about a man. Hmm. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I hate TBBT with a passion. Blackface for nerds. Nerd face. It’s like:

“I’m going to the comic book store”
[laugh track] HAHAHA NEEEEERD WHAT A LOSER!

Not laughing with us, not even at us, but at the fact that we exist.

The blatant sexism and homophobia are every bit as bad. I didn’t watch the video, but it will be a total shit show when I do watch it.

If you mean catty and petty and full of themselves, then yes. Otherwise, Drama nerds are cooler than that.

Related

Socially inept, yes. We come across as rude and unemotional and self centered, but we’re not catty and passive aggressive. That’s in the NT domain exclusively.

9 Likes

I’ve never watched the show but the insights into the trope and the misogyny that it allows to pass has real fallout for men and women in tech.

4 Likes

Thanks, but I am a drama nerd. We’re really not that cool.

I was referring to the frequent use of drama references in BBT. Like when Sheldon and hoodie dude’s mom decide to act out musical numbers. Or when they riff in detail off other vintage films that science/SF/comic book nerds normally wouldn’t touch. It’s just this vague collection of uncool things tossed together, apparently unaware that things like comic books are most definitely now cool.

8 Likes

I was unaware nerds were so compartmentalized. If science nerds could also be comic book nerds, can’t they also be theater nerds?

5 Likes

In my experience the Venn diagram has science/SF/comics in one circle, and art/drama/non-SF literature in another circle, with very little overlap.

Otherwise CP Snow wouldn’t have had to write The Two Cultures, and I wouldn’t have had nearly so many people tell me I can’t like SF because I have an English degree.

7 Likes

My son’s Aspy, so yeah, lol.

4 Likes

I must be weird then, because I was a math and science nerd who liked art, literature, and music (but not theater) and was totally indifferent to comics. I learned to love sci-fi as an adult, and I can’t stand most fantasy.

Speaking of which, where do math and music fall? I was interested in math, but not because of modern physics. Classical dynamics and differential equations, as in engineering math, but not the quantum physics stuff that draws a lot of people in. These days, I mostly do probability and statistics stuff. I was into music both as a musician and as a music fan who ingested every type of music I could get my hands on. There are three instruments within five feet of me at this moment, and three more in the next room waiting to be played. Thanks to the magic of the internet, I’ve got a playlist that would be a couple of months long if I were to listen to it straight through, and that’s only the 20% or so I haven’t listened to yet.

So yeah, I’m not a traditional comics or theater nerd, but I’m not not a nerd either.

7 Likes

Me too, sort of. Kanner’s autism.

1 Like

There was a subset of the drama kids at my first highschool who were in the sci-fi club as well. They all liked to play Changeling more than other RPGs. But they generally liked sci-fi and anime as well. Everyone liked the Rocky Horror Picture Show in the overlapping groups.

At my second highschool the poetry club was the sister club for sci-fi. We did joint events at school fairs. There was a lot of cross over interest in paganism which we got in trouble for a bit.

At both of there was just alot of overlap with gaming, sci-fi, goth, pagans, drama, writing, art, ect. Even though I tended to think of kids would “partied” as more “other” there were still some in the sci-fi club, and even in my more immediate circle. I think the main thing is that no one was on a sports team.

Actually in the sci-fi club there were some splits over music taste, but connection over gaming. There was a goth rivalry sort of thing with ravers and ska kids but we still played games together.

Whenever I see other people talk about highschool grouping it seems so regional down to specific schools sometimes. (Although I’m sure averages do emerge) And in college most people explore beyond their clique.

5 Likes