Not Feminism 101

Well, Toronto is at 43°42′N latitude, just south of Florence, just north of Cannes. We are indeed an arctic country, but something on the order of 90% of the Canadian population huddles together for warmth less than 160 km from the US border.

9 Likes

Now that you mention Cannes, I wouldn’t mind Canada taking more after modern-day France (as opposed to what it was when they colonised us).

6 Likes

Yes, I did know that. I was appealing to the stereotypical European idea of Canada, which has you swathed in furs and mounted on snowshoes. Most British people have no idea of where Toronto is in relation to New York, where NY is in relation to London, and indeed how close the American South is to Washington.

5 Likes

True story: this year on our annual summer road trip we opted to go “north” instead of our usual tour around the USA. I wanted to go as far “North” as possible! Which, in Ontario, is basically the 49th parallel… aka the “South” bit of the rest of Canada (excluding some of the maritimes). I mean I knew Toronto was south, I didn’t realize how far south! LOL Sometimes I wonder why the rest of Canada hates Toronto, and then stuff like this happens. :wink:

8 Likes

I had a friend of a friend from Calgary stay as a house guest one weekend (our mutual friend couldn’t host her at the last minute – long story).

We took a walk along the my neighbourhood’s boardwalk one morning, and she commented that she had totally forgotten Toronto was beside a major lake. Which was strange for a moment, because like any reasonably educated Canadian she could have easily pointed out all our major cities on a map, but as we chatted I realised it was because to her Toronto = Bay Street banking towers and not much else.

Then there’s the adult learners I taught in London, Ontario, who Would. Not. Believe. Me. when I told them they were wrong and that Toronto was not the capital of Canada, just Ontario.

Some of them also argued Prince Edward Island wasn’t a province, and didn’t know what I was talking about when I said Confederation was signed there.

Only the born-and-raised-in-Canada ones, though. The new Canadians had had to learn the capitals for their citizenship test, and were astonished they knew them better than the Canadians-from-birth. They also had a much more realistic handle on what role Toronto played in the province and country.

Of course, the new Canadians hadn’t been raised to resent and dislike Toronto from birth. It was a nice example of how ignorance and hate work together.

8 Likes

HAHAHAHA!
So I lived in Calgary for four years (story for another time) and one time when visiting home I brought a friend who’d never been. As we making our final approach and passing over the great lakes my friend looking down at them was astonished at their size. “OMG they’re so big” - “…yes, we call them the GREAT lakes for a reason?” LOL

New Canadians know so much more about our country than we do, its pitiful.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, the 45th parallel scoots right through the heart of downtown Minneapolis.

Question: how did this thread devolve into another Canada thread?

7 Likes

Sorry, not sorry?

6 Likes

Artist’s impression of a sufficiently advanced thread becoming a Canada thread: :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Shouldn’t the last one be wearing a toque?

6 Likes

And a flannel shirt!

8 Likes

Better?

15 Likes

I grew up pretty much on the 55th parallel and have probably seen less snow than you.

The gulf stream is about the only thing keeping the UK habitable.

8 Likes

I guarantee you’ve seen acres less snow. :wink: A few years ago hear in SE MI, our record snow accumulation record was Hulksmashed by a 93" winter total.

8 Likes

Is this a sort of a feminist song?

2 Likes

I have no answers, and refuse to be prescriptive. I guarantee I will come up with the wrong solution.

At exec meetings women always add either impactful strategy (i.e. real leadership), tactical decisions, or nuance that was missed. Every. Time. Doesn’t matter if it is leadership, creative, support. It doesn’t matter.

If an organization ignores 51% of their talent and market… Isn’t that just simply stupid?

12 Likes

Well, I don’t think it passes the Bechdel test…

It would be easy to argue either way, but it addresses the issue @MissyPants brought up:

So in the sense that the song denies that passivity and self-denial are desirable qualities in women, it qualifies.

This one carries the theme a bit further:

2 Likes

But Ms. Sheridan is telling these girls to use their wiles and make themselves “part of the chase”, as well as to “lay a trap”.

I think it’s about feminism in the bedroom; why should women wait and slap wrists? To my ears, she’s singing about being sexual and not just being sexy.

6 Likes

So much this

11 Likes

I got through about 5 minutes before I had seen enough

5 Likes