Not Feminism 101

BTW, I am a Xoomer.
:sunglasses:

Yep, I watched the show. It certainly didn’t reflect the realities of all girls/young women, but hey - it’s a TV show, they do what they can.

And I feel validated in a way. I mean, maybe I’m peaking, too?

3 Likes

Everything I’m hearing about that show (Palm Royale) is good… Carol Burnett was on Colbert this week, as she’s in it…

I think I have them in the correct order!

Also, what was it about the name “mindy” in the late 70s/ early 80s… Mork and Mindy, and Mindy Cohn on the Facts of LIfe?

2 Likes

It stands out, but not too much?
https://www.thebump.com/b/mindi-baby-name

There was a girl that went to the same high school as I did, a grade above, and her name was Melinda…Beavers. I don’t remember anyone making fun of her, though. She had a great personality.

Addendum: “She had a great personality.” - Is this still code for “…but in the looks department…eh, not so much.” She was also very pretty, I don’t know if she was 1/2 or 1/4 Native American. And a jock, but not a butch jock.

2 Likes

The patriarchal monarchy allowed this to happen?

(note: doesn’t Maundy Thursday sound like a great drag name?)

1 Like

Queens have done this before. They just mean this is the first time a spouse has stood-in for the monarch during the ceremony.

2 Likes

stilll…

1 Like

I don’t know how to feel about this, as I’m closing in on 60, myself. On one hand, it’s good that ageism is slowly being eliminated when it comes to appearances; on the other hand, contests like this still objectifies women as attractive objects. Why don’t we get to hear her speech about what she would do if she could fix the world, or whatever they ask the contestants? And has she had work done on her face and body? As usual, I have questions, lol

2 Likes

I’ve watched “The Best Years of Our Lives” (1946) yesterday and part of today, and I’m about to watch “The Little Foxes” (1941), both Sam Goldwyn productions. Teresa Wright’s five-year contract with him, which started with TLF, contained the below clause.

"Asserting her seriousness as an actress, Wright insisted her contract contain unique clauses by Hollywood standards:

The aforementioned Teresa Wright shall not be required to pose for photographs in a bathing suit unless she is in the water. Neither may she be photographed running on the beach with her hair flying in the wind. Nor may she pose in any of the following situations: In shorts, playing with a cocker spaniel; digging in a garden; whipping up a meal; attired in firecrackers and holding skyrockets for the Fourth of July; looking insinuatingly at a turkey for Thanksgiving; wearing a bunny cap with long ears for Easter; twinkling on prop snow in a skiing outfit while a fan blows her scarf; assuming an athletic stance while pretending to hit something with a bow and arrow."

2 Likes

She would have hated Instgram.

2 Likes

She was born in 1918 and lived till 2005, so who knows?

In 1998, her grandson Jonah Smith took her to her first NY Yankees game. See, she played the wife of Lou Gehrig in “Pride of the Yankees”. Anyhow, Smith accompanied Wright on “her first visit to Yankee Stadium when she was invited to throw the ceremonial first pitch. Her appearance in “Pride of the Yankees” had sparked an interest in baseball and led her to become a Yankees fan.”

“When the roll call of former Yankees who had died was announced at Old Timer’s Day on July 5, 2005, Wright’s name was read among the ballplayers and members of the Yankees family.”

The info is from her Wikipedia page.

1 Like

I’m putting this video here because of something she says near the end of it. Try and guess what it is. (I mean if you don’t mind and all)

1 Like

I get tired of people making fun of her music and her art and her herself in general. I cannot say I’m a fan of her music, though I love “Who Has Seen The Wind?”, the B side of “Instant Karma!” I think, but I’ve come to admire and respect her as a multi-faceted, multi-talented human being. And she must’ve done SOMEthing right, cos she’s 91 years old!!!

And I really can relate to screaming!

4 Likes

I find it absolutely enraging how people treated Ono… there is some level of both misogyny and racism aimed at the woman. But her art is her art, and whether people enjoy it or not shouldn’t be predicated on her proximity to Lennon.

4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

The song, some of you may know or know of, but has anyone heard of this lady? She just died in 2021. Wish I coulda met her!

A slightly more in-depth video:

1 Like

Rebecca Traister on national politics and her recent article, “How Did Republican Women End Up Like This?”

1 Like

I was hoping she’d go back a bit further in history. During the second wave of feminism in the 1970s, Republican women were significantly involved on the right side of history. Not a full 50%, but about 35%. Extremists like Schlafly were the anomalies back then.

1 Like

Hmmm…I’ll need to check out the rest of the state to see how many municipal offices were taken by women in the last election cycle…I’m still marvelling over Warren having a female mayor. And ok, Gretch can run for POTUS in 2028 if she likes. IF her successor is just as good as she is as Gov. of MI.

2 Likes

From two years ago.

1 Like