Not Feminism 101

I am pretty sure that the party can afford more than that.

If a party wants to win and change things, they must commit to it. Even the seats you don’t think you can win. Otherwise you’re just telling people that you’re willing to write them off, and then is it any wonder when they won’t vote for you because you “don’t care about us?”

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I have already broken my personal pledge not to comment any more on US politics. Must try harder in future.

3 Likes

Yeah weird. Sorry I guess. I just copied the link from RawStory.

It works for me now but it worked for me before so :confused:

1 Like

Putting this here and not the molesters outed thread, because this is truth from a woman, talking about why women do what we have to:

10 Likes

Everyone just looks away.

This is what jumped out the most to me in this article. It’s a common refrain, and it cuts across class lines, across racial lines, it hits all ages…

And it doesn’t matter what kind of abuse it is, this is the reason the abusers get away with it. Not because “nobody knew”. Lots of people know, all the time.

But everyone looks away.

11 Likes

I’ve thought about this a lot. My suspicion is that it’s because what the perpetrators do is so embarrassing, so shameful. They think it makes them powerful and attractive, but it just makes them pathetic.

But because they’re too clueless to realise how pathetic they are, they keep going. And keep victimising.

It’s like this 15 year old kid I once taught who loaded a RAT on the school network and took over classmates’ screens during class. When I caught him and told him it was wrong, he said, “but I can do it”.

“But it’s wrong.”

“But I can do it.”

This wasn’t exactly my finest moment in teaching. I told him, “well, I could drop my pants and take a dump on the floor right now, but I’m not going to.”

I think that’s what it’s really going to take. Getting a blow job in public, masturbating in front of someone without their explicit, enthusiastic consent, and all the rest – it won’t go away until these dudes realise it’s like taking a dump in the middle of a crowded room.

15 Likes

That was really really good!

8 Likes
8 Likes

A friend of mine works at the CBC as a producer.
She pointed out that all the successful journalists are either married men, or divorced/single women.
There was no middle ground. Either they were men with a wife a home running things and raising kids, or they were single women.

Seriously men, do better.

12 Likes
9 Likes
11 Likes

Funny how it all keeps coming back to power, huh?

12 Likes

Why women don’t report applies 10x when the perp is one.

13 Likes

Ho-ly crap. This one really got me in the feels.

The topics of the song, her mother and the fallout victims go through after experiencing mysoginy and abuse, made me think it belongs in this thread.

ETA: Following up, I’m not really sure of how to feel about Sarah these days. Sure, she talks a lot of feminism, but AFAIK, up to the point of the big reveals she has been associated with Loius C.K. and Al Franken.
I know she’s not responsible for other people’s actions, but frankly I’d like to hear something from her stating a position on her awareness of show business’ sexual harassment problem.

This is a very good article on domestic violence, especially in rural areas. One thing it touches on but doesn’t really get into is that a big problem with stopping domestic violence is the same problem with stopping rape: its ubiquity.

10 Likes
8 Likes
14 Likes

Again, I really can’t relate.

It’s shocking to me how commonplace this type of thing is.

2 Likes

Erm, I expect many men can’t.

Look at Borutsky in the article I posted earlier. Three women, all abused and/or stalked by him, plus at least one ex-wife. So at least four women whose lives were made scarier – if not ended – by this one guy.

And then the “how I learned to be afraid of men” article – how many women do guys who act like that interact with, in that manner?

So yeah there’s going to be a discrepancy.

11 Likes

Do you mean that it’s relatively few men, but they act this way toward every woman they meet?

1 Like