O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Some incendiary news from Quebec:

8 Likes

That sounds like a mortar round, AFAIK the only explosive projectile of the era. Wolfe had some at Pointe Lévis. The battery there pretty much destroyed the lower town during the siege.

http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/quebechistory/encyclopedia/SevenYearsWar-FrenchandIndianWar-TheSiegeofQuebec.htm

The largest ordnance was the 13-inch sea-service mortar, throwing a 200-lb. shell more than two miles with great effect.

5 Likes

Things I didn’t expect English journalists like British Pathé to get wrong:

1. Dominion Premier?

2. “Hail to the Chief”

5 Likes

I once wrote a letter to a yarn supplier in the UK, saying that while my research had shown her kits weren’t available in the US, were they perchance available in Canada?

We used to have Boots, WH Smith, and Marks & Spencer, after all. We still have speciality British shops. I thought it was worth a shot to ask.

After many weeks I received a postcard addressed to me in:

[Name]
[Street Address]
Ontario, Canada [postal code]
USA

It reiterated they did not sell kits in America.

Within a year of that incident, a British in-law’s son (age 16 or so) expressed amazement during a family visit that Canada was not a republic but a constitutional monarchy, with the same queen he had. He wouldn’t believe me until I showed him some Canadian money.

Since then I have always been disproportionately impressed by any British person who knows Canada is a sovereign country.

14 Likes

I thought your king was Zap Rowsdower.

2 Likes

Lorne Green, maybe.

5 Likes

With Rick Mercer as court jester?

5 Likes

There is but one true king of Canada!

10 Likes

That’s a nice bit of artwork.

Does he have a name? Cameron Mackenzie perhaps?

5 Likes

Sandy McTire.

(Not an official promotion).

12 Likes

Do we have a Strategic Butts thread yet, because this would be a great early entry!

6 Likes

Oh, well, too late now. And it’s Canada.

8 Likes

Wait until they find out there’s a town in Newfoundland called Dildo.

8 Likes

A sandy is handy, but liquor is quicker.

5 Likes

Do we need a “Dirty Canada” topic?

12 Likes

Cripes, there’d be no end to it.

9 Likes

Sounds like a “yes” to me. Proposed title: “pretty filthy, eh?”

3 Likes

It’s the long winter nights in a lonely log cabin. The mind tends to wander…

Slight mod: “Pretty filthy, eh? Sorry.”

6 Likes

Not sure I agree with Macleans’ on this, but Rogers’ story is hilarious (read the whole twitter thread).

3 Likes

Toronto. Where finding a lost car meets urban exploring.

4 Likes