Olds go nostalgic for the good old days of tech

That’s what makes it both funny and relevant.

9 Likes

I am iPod man. And I am obsolete.

5 Likes

Who’s the young buck on the left?

6 Likes

this one hangs on my fridge

7 Likes

I first learned word processing on a Mac. I guess it was Word but seemed like it was a really limited version of it. Maybe I just didn’t know how to use the features.

When I got into the work world, I was really super duper bored and had to look like I knew what I was doing. I had Word, and the manual for it (remember physical manuals?), so I taught myself all the features from the book.

When I got my first tech writing job, where we were doing layout and design work, we had WordPerfect and then Word, but we ALSO had to teach people to use Wang WP and WP+, which were some of the first word processing programs ever, and the reason that the DOJ had adopted the Wang systems 18 years before I even arrived at the job.

Surprisingly, most of the features in modern word processers were in the Wang programs, just you had to know specific codes to use them. Since we had to teach these programs, learning those programs also really helped me to use Word well.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve never heard of WP+, but Wang I’ve heard of. I think there was a Lexmark word processor in the office for our labs in grad school, and then an NBR system where I got my first job. Thankfully I didn’t have to learn either.

3 Likes

It was a difficult job because office staff knew other people had Word and it was easier to use. WP and WP+ were more like Wordstar. The training staff had to learn the advanced features in order to train the office staff that “Sure, you can do whatever you want to do in Word in WP+!” I specifically remembering smiling big and hopefully convincingly as we instructed them, “and to bold, you just time /b before the word and after the words you wish to bold. It’s just that easy!” I learned how to put a positive spin on things in that job.

4 Likes
7 Likes

What is this “transistor” patente? When I was a very young lad, radios had tubes (“valves” for our English friends). So did those newfangled things called “television sets”. (When I was a very young lad, Duplessis was still in power in Québec, and the roads in Liberal ridings were in horrible shape.)

4 Likes

(It’s a silly, cute book I got when it was free.)

3 Likes

This is the coolest computer restoration project I’ve seen.

5 Likes

Meh…
I have some fondness for LPs and books in a tactile sort of way. But while I grew up with a stuck to the wall black dial phone (which is probably still in the house) I don’t miss most old tech.
Digital is awesome. I think the only ‘old tech’ thing I still like is having a dedicated mp3 player instead of using the phone.

5 Likes

That looks finicky.

2 Likes

I like my books on dead trees, and my music on vinyl. I’m no hipster, it’s just a comfort thing. I like the way old books feel and even smell, and I even like the little pops and crackles in vinyl.

I had one of those too. Last I heard, it was a prop at some high school’s drama department.

BTW, there were far fewer area codes in those days. This phone had a 312 area code, despite having been located a good 40 miles from the current 312 area code (Chicago loop). That phone must have changed area codes four times in ten years without physically moving.

3 Likes

Seven digit dialing. Remember seven digit dialing?

11 Likes

Oh I have no problems with that. I do like old books but I found once I had my cheapo nook I actually started reading a lot more and I am happy to be able to carry around ‘books’ that would otherwise be cumbersome to tote around anywhere.

As far as vinyl goes I think I miss listening to the album as an experience in itself more than anything. Back when not everything was available so readily.

I will restate that I think more than anything I miss the rarity of some things. Having to watch the flyer for the art house theater to catch the animation festivals or off the wall foreign sci-fi, or only getting to see Rocky Horror at Midnight on the weekends.

I somewhat miss things like having your friend ditch school and get tickets for the opening day show of ‘Return Of the Jedi’ and having to get in line hours ahead of time so you get a good seat. Being able to get your ticket online and just walk in the theater and reserved seating now even is kinda nice.

7 Likes

Seven digit dialing. Remember seven digit dialing?

I remember 5 digit dialing. Last digit of the prefix and the 4 digits for the phone.

The 911 system did away with that

But that was Montana. Which still only has one Area Code. I knew several friends who got cell phones with the same prefix as their land line.

I still have an album hang up. I really don’t like flipping through my digitized music library and seeing “Albums” with one song.

Heck, back in napster days I … acquired … some Pink Floyd MP3s that were one MP3 per album. I was okay with that.

8 Likes

I recall 6 digit dialing in Hawaii back when.

2 Likes

My first radio looked a lot like this:

FM? What’s that?

The radio is long gone, but the case is still in use, housing my Lafayette analog volt-ohmmeter.

We kept a tube tester handy.

8 Likes