Olds go nostalgic for the good old days of tech

Yep.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve read about the early days of bulletin boards, they were almost exclusively local because phone lines, a non-local bbs would incur long distance charges. so most of them would have meet-ups at some point.
the phone phreaks in any given area had a set of pay phones they met at to play on. but Iā€™d never heard of that one, although surely it was a phone phreakā€™s discovery I would imagine

3 Likes

My brother met his ex-wife that way, and she lived in PA, he in Detroit, MI.

Addendum: They both had Commodore 64s. They got married on October 28, 1989.

4 Likes

I met my wife through a local BBS.

4 Likes

I have no memory of this.

3 Likes

That really is pretty clever!

2 Likes
2 Likes

This seemed like one of the better places for thisā€¦

It sounds like something out of an urban legend: Some Windows XP-era laptops using 5400 RPM spinning hard drives can allegedly be forced to crash when exposed to Janet Jacksonā€™s 1989 hit ā€œRhythm Nation.ā€

But Microsoft Software Engineer Raymond Chen stands by the story in a blog post published earlier this week, and the vulnerability has been issued an official CVE ID by The Mitre Corporation, lending it more credibility.

10 Likes

Hollywood hackers: (furiously typing random words) Iā€™m in!

Real life hackers: (listening to 80s/90s playlists for hours on end) Found the song that crashes computers!

It wouldnā€™t be at all believable in a movie, which is what makes it so realistic.

6 Likes

When I was in high school, there was a gimmicky product to locate keys that became popular one holiday season. These worked by clapping a rhythm or a whistle to get the key chain to respond with an annoying beep.

My high school boyfriend was gifted one of these keychains, and one day we discovered that Madonna sang in the exact frequency of the whistle that would activate the keychain. It was pretty funny to us to be in the car and have the keychain blow up when Like a Virgin started playing.

6 Likes
4 Likes

oh god i dream of finding one of these at a garage sale or in a thrift.

2 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

You couldnā€™t get me to play with high voltages. I once got zapped changing a wall switch. Iā€™d turned off the wrong circuit breaker.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s 70% of the job. Then thereā€™s the care and feeding of unbraided thick copper wire around the new screw of a new switch. If you havenā€™t done it before, reverse the ratio. Itā€™s in tenths.

2 Likes
6 Likes

For a brief moment, looking at the thumbnail for that video, I was thinking ā€œwaitā€¦ that circuit board looks familiar for some reasonā€¦ā€

Turns out I was thinking of a slightly different calculator, the Sanyo ICC-808D. Iā€™ve only seen that circuit board once, near the beginning of the year, but evidently it stuck in the brain. It was the board used for the ā€œbelt gizmoā€ in Ghostbusters. Very similar design, though clearly a little more modern.

3 Likes

This was my calculator growing up, the one my dad got to use instead of a slide rule:

I remember some of the function chaining and reciprocal stuff (as shown on the last few pages of the manual) could be confusing since it wasnā€™t really obvious that it would do that.

4 Likes

Once shitty ways of doing math on computers got endemic, innovation in the field ended. Now thereā€™s just an increasing bland and dull series of proprietary tools.

1 Like