Olds go nostalgic for the good old days of tech

4 Likes

Reminds me of how Luke had Artoo sneak his lightsaber through Jabba’s security.

3 Likes

I wanted one of those so bad when I was a kid. Probably would’ve been one of those things I just played with for a week and then just took up space though.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Interesting that the computer has the same name as the computer in the novel by DF Jones.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Huh. I thought they did away with that long ago. But I also switched to Duckduckgo long ago, so maybe they revived it for awhile when I wasn’t using it and didn’t notice?

3 Likes
4 Likes

… I’m probably a nano master now but it’s left me thinking maybe I should’ve learned emacs instead

3 Likes

For real. I just thought, maybe I’ll try nano. I’m on a mac and the goddamned control / command emfuckerance, with control being the thing that is not easily remapped without having to eliminate the prroperr position of the command key without having to remap all yr godsfuckingshit app program thingys.

I feel better now. Aneurysm averted.

2 Likes

This still looks like the future to me.

5 Likes

I actually had to do a live database query on a production database tonight. It was a trivial thing, just set the status of something to zero so it doesn’t try (and fail) to send emails. But wow. actually touching the production database at all feels so weird and wrong now.

When I think back, we used to do that all the time and that’s just how stuff was done. But now that’s 15 years or more behind us. Now we have proper processes and procedures and review and everything. Except on those rare occasions when something breaks on deployment night. Then you have to ride in like an old-timey cowboy and do the unthinkable.

5 Likes

The boxen? Definitely, but that suit and tie is kind of breaking the spell for me, lol

4 Likes

The “Ghost of Steve Jobs Future.”

2 Likes

He was smart to switch to the mock turtlenecks.

3 Likes

If Jobs wants to wear a bow tie, he wears a bow tie. The Universe will bend to him!

1 Like

These two just pose well together.

3 Likes

And this one doesn’t have whatever was in the other one that did it for me, I’m not usually anti-bowtie. This one looks fantastic, nostalgia for a future that has already passed, in all its modern glory.

4 Likes

Great hair.

3 Likes
3 Likes