Olds go nostalgic for the good old days of tech

9 Likes
6 Likes

Starts with a ruler, goes so much further.

2 Likes

… something that was not really possible in the old days but is easy now is changing the font size in a terminal window (e.g. in Termux we can just “pinch zoom” to make everything bigger or smaller)

but the one thing that doesn’t play nice with changing window dimensions is man pages — they’re preformatted by nroff or whatever, and line breaks stay in the same places regardless

Fortunately, that’s actually something we can fix, and the fix fits in a shell alias

$ alias man='PAGER=w3m man -T html'

To prevent a trivial error message and make w3m act a little more like less, add a couple of options

$ alias man="PAGER='w3m -o save_hist=false -o confirm_qq=false' man -T html"

Using links or elinks as a pager also works

obviously, install whichever text browser you want to use first

2 Likes

Thanks to this Our Own Devices video I noticed a little detail in the opening credits for Mannix.

The wordmark for “Mannix” is meant to resemble the IBM logo, but this is not an IBM punched card. This is a Hollerith punched card. We can tell this because holes are round, not rectangular. IBM introduced the rectangular holes in 1928, but many machines continued to use the round holes to avoid IBM patents.

7 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

7 Likes
2 Likes

Very interesting documentary with interviews.

But no mention of the Linus Write-Top.

2 Likes

Ok, I might be stretching the meaning of this topic for this. :wink:

… but I’m also wondering how much he’s fitting into each packet. Hope he’s at least using jumbo frames.

6 Likes

So we had to replace a broken air conditioner…

In the process they replaced a functional thermostat with a fancy unusable animated migraine-inducing Google migraine-inducer.

Is there any way to work around this?

3 Likes

I had a digital thermostat in my old apartment. I asked the guy who replaced my heater if I could get an old dial-type thermostat and he assured me it was just two wires (white and black is what I seem to remember) behind it and you could easily screw them down to the contacts on whatever thermostat you want and screw it to the wall. just remember which color went to which contact on the old one.
I never got around to it but supposedly it’s extremely low-tech.
not sure if it’s another set of wires to AC since you have central air (I didn’t.) but my assumption is the air and heat contacts would be marked and you just keep track of which was which.
if it’s connected to Google there’s probably another wire for data you’d just let dangle but should be easy to sort out with a YouTube video or something .

6 Likes

Do you still have the one you prefer? It could be put back.

Any hardware store or Home Depot has many thermostats to choose from. Any heating/air conditioning company could happily install it.

6 Likes

It really is low tech. Most of them are just two wires. I’ve done many thermostat replacements over the years. You can easily replace with a dial or simple digital one. The digital ones are actually really good because they can be programmed which is good for energy savings. Digital doesn’t have to be fancy.

The big caveat is that they usually have 120V running through them, so you definitely want to kill the power at the breaker before swapping them out.

6 Likes

I just saw someone listening to a Zune. He was wearing a Zune t-shirt.

4 Likes
6 Likes

… i.e. “Not having CrowdStrike saves the day” :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

On the other hand they may be just a little behind on security updates…

4 Likes

Or they could just use a Macintosh.

2 Likes