Olds go nostalgic for the good old days of tech

I thought of a new one

This is Robotnik, not Eggman.

5 Likes

It’s an Americanism, but AFAIK @Daveb is not American.

It’s also spelled mic. They’re dropping the microphone, not someone named Mike.

3 Likes

Ah. Like Beowulf, then, but with added sexism and homophobia.

(That’s literally all I know about rap as I’ve taken no interest in any music produced after my deafness became severe.)

2 Likes
4 Likes

Eh. I still spell it mike more often than I do mic. If nothing else, “micing drums” looks terribly cruel to the wee rodents.

8 Likes

I found it, but this short clip doesn’t really do it justice.
we fucking LOVED this game

4 Likes

Loved Miner!

3 Likes

I didn’t know he’d gotten into Canasta!

4 Likes

Everybody I know pronounces it “gif” as in “give”.

1 Like

We’ll die out eventually.

4 Likes

It’s pronounced “giraffe paper”.

12 Likes

You’re surely having a giraffe, me old China?

I’m sorry, I forgot to acknowledge that earlier. On a pedantically phonetic point, the inventors of the format apparently followed what they thought was a linguistic rule in pronunciation (soft g before i,e,y). But it is not a rule and some very common English words (get, give, gift) not of Graeco-Roman origin) do not obey it. Since v,b, and f are closely related, gif gets pronounced /g/if by analogy with the very similar sounding word give. “Graph” as in “graphical image format” has a hard g and so following the usual rule for acronyms again one would expect /g/if.

Extricate yourselves from my poaceaeic thwaite, inadequately instructed juveniles!

9 Likes

Oh, I was getting reports on the numbers of backhoe incidents long before then.

The self-employed guys who repaired cable used to say that a backhoe in a business park was like a little gold mine waiting to be exploited.

5 Likes

Grandma calls the TV remote a “clicker” because the first TV we had that came with one made an actual clicking noise and cycled through all 13 channels plus whatever UHF channel you tuned it to.

[I had to explain cassette tapes to my 8 year old over the weekend. And that TVs and stereos were furniture when I was young.]

12 Likes

I still call the remote for the TV the “converter” :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Come to think about it, that is how I still think of TV remotes. I went TV free not long after those started to become outmoded.

Although universal remotes started coming on the scene around the time I was a teenager. I got one, programmed it to my neighbor’s TV, and randomly changed the channels from outside.

They weren’t exactly very good technology. They really only had a heyday of about 15 years or so, and that was mainly because record players were impractical for listening to albums in the car or while driving. Cassette tapes were preceded by the 8 track, which is even a running joke amongst us olds, and followed by the DAT, which is just bad technology. DATs had all the worst qualities of CDs, combined with all the worst qualities of CDs, but none of the best qualities. I’ve worked at a radio station during the DAT era, and they did not exactly age well.

Yep. We used our old broken TV as a stand for our almost as old, working TV. It was like we were building a TV totem pole.

15 Likes

Insightful!

5 Likes

It only counts if you have at least three all tuned to different news programes. So you have a different close up face on each.

5 Likes

ah yes, Elvis Presley style.

3 Likes

I remember a new program demonstrating DAT. They probably showed other features, but the part I remember most is that they showed how if you made a copy, it would refuse to play it. That was all the more I needed to know, and I subsequently never bought one. Something about me not being old enough to afford one probably played into the decision as well.

10 Likes