Other Place Encounters and Comments

I feel rather certain that people have liked for exactly that reason on occasion.

9 Likes

Without contextā€¦ I know that, in the past, Iā€™ve liked a comment like that simply based on how it was handled. Though I suppose that was back when the anonymization was a fairly new thing.

8 Likes

Heā€™s basically a Gamergate guy

Recently heā€™s been arguing that technology is evil but it seems likely heā€™s just trolling everybody

10 Likes

i assume theyā€™ve run the numbers? but it does seem they they might actuallyā€¦ you knowā€¦ try.

for me, the reason i return on a regular basis to that other place is not the small snippets of headlines that are sort of like articles which i could pretty much get from an rss feed of other sites posts, or even the ( increasingly rare ) specific twists of authors ( yes, even cory ) ā€“ but the community.

and, fwiw, a community that preceded discourse.

maybe other people only go for the front page, fine. let them. give me access to the ā€œblogā€ format, the ascii format, and the bbs ad free for a patreon donation. enhance discourse to provide donation supported bbseses so that people can (try) directly supporting that place, this place, and other places without ads or out of pocket expenses. i mean, why not?

try it for six months without ruining the experience with ads first.

and yet, thatā€™s not the route theyā€™ve chosen to go. itā€™s a bit frustrating. and i do have some sympathy for ken for having to defend that position as part of his paid employment.

17 Likes

I feel rather certain that I have done so on occasion!

8 Likes

So, popped over there and it looks like Ken pruned all his dickishness?

6 Likes

I like discourse, too, but this is my problem with him, full stop. Heā€™s dismissive of the reality that technology canā€™t fix our problems alone. It can be part of the solution, but hisā€¦ ego that he can safely dismiss history and social relations, because technology will fix us is a dangerous road. He is contemptuous of anyone who points out that there is no easy fix to humanities problems, other than putting in the hard work to change things.

18 Likes

Heā€™s also arguing that he has the solution to our woes, and that historians are garbage people who donā€™t understand how humanity works. Is he trolling if he really believes that nonsense?

11 Likes

Iā€™ve absolutely liked comments where the ban hammer has finally been dropped on some well deserving asstroll whose exile was long overdue; Popo, Max/JimJim, Arch Stantonā€¦

And on much rarer occasions when those aforementioned asstrolls have self immolated, I liked certain comments too: Acer/Boris, Unshaved Weirdoā€¦

Yes, I am glad (or at the least, relieved) when bad faith actors are removed from the community, especially if their comments/presence only contributes to the needless negativity and discordā€¦

I donā€™t feel bad about that, and itā€™s unlikely that I ever will.

But that ugliness the other dayā€¦ I didnā€™t comment or ā€˜likeā€™ any of it; it was the epitome of Not Cool.

Regardless to how anyone may personally feel about Ken, for whatever reason, heā€™s still far more reasonable than both Jason and Jeff combined. (Yes, I know thatā€™s STILL a low bar.)

At least he usually attempts to be fair in his decisions, which is more than I can say for the other two.

Speaking as someone who has more experience with trolls than I ever wanted, I honestly donā€™t think he actually believes that; dude is fucking trolling and abusing his powers to do it, IMO.

13 Likes

Jason did.

Ken is still touchy. I donā€™t reccomend poking him about it.

10 Likes

Itā€™s really hard to know. I think maybe it started out as a trollish position, but I think at least some of his real views are also popping up as well.

10 Likes

Yā€™know what?

Iā€™ve gotten to the same point with Jeff Atwood that I have with all the famous bigots and fear-mongers out there who make a tidy profit from perpetuating hate and ignorance; I donā€™t even care if he means it or not.

The damage heā€™s doing is the same, regardless.

18 Likes

Ah, thank you.

Sanitized for our protection, such as it were. Wonā€™t poke the pine wolf as I rarely even stick my head in there now. Doesnā€™t feel like home anymore.

12 Likes

11th-doc-this

I canā€™t agree with this more. Just like the people who voted for Trump for ā€œeconomicā€ reasons or for the lulz, or whatever. The damage is the same, whatever their thin justifications. The truth is their active indifference is just as destructive as if they were voting for white supremacyā€¦ because they are voting for it.

16 Likes

Insert the usual Goat quote about ā€˜what historians call people who supported the Nazisā€™ here ___ .

6 Likes

Comedy Gold

7 Likes

Geez, that dude was griping about moderation issues when I left there, what is it, three years ago now?

14 Likes

I was thinking that a moderation gripe thread full of flags is a bad sign.

9 Likes

Well, shit. I just discovered than the annual BBS badges over there donā€™t increment unless you post. So I shall have to remember to post over there at least once a year. Welp, Iā€™m covered for 2019 now.

10 Likes

If there was ever a post that needed a tl;dr itā€™s that.

Just in case anybody needs a cure for insomnia:

6 Likes