Our ex-so-called president

I think Hieronymus Bosch’s art is rather lovely but I’m prepared to agree that may be a non-standard definition of the term…

10 Likes

Little Nightmares seems like it has some appropriate themes for Trump’s ilk.

9 Likes

In my family, it was called “Monotony”.

Scrabble? That was “Squabble”.

11 Likes

5 Likes

9 Likes

That made me think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOplBXTO8io

5 Likes

It’s worth mentioning that most people don’t play Monopoly correctly, which leads to a much longer and less competitive game. The core rule change is that when a property is landed on, if the player does not choose to purchase it, it goes up for auction and any player can pick it up, including the player on the space. This distributes the properties much more quickly, and adds another layer of strategy. I’m not sure that it makes the game any good, but it does improve it over the rule set that most people use. It’s so pervasive that most digital implementations of the game even include it as an option.

10 Likes

Oh, it was just that my dad, usually, would get all the properties with the highest rents. That does get monotonous after a while.

3 Likes

It’s generally a terrible game (and that is kind of the point) even with the auction rule. If anything, the auction just opens it up to even more gaming; buy one of everything you land on, whatever anyone else doesn’t purchase and refuse to negotiate until people get bored and enter into stupid deals just to get the game moving. Eventually, people will accept that you won’t sell them anything for less than “all the money they have” or “enough higher value property to complete a set you are missing.”

It’s a stupid game but it is possible to win it every single time by being more patient and more stubborn than everyone else.

“What the fuck do you mean, $3000 for Pall Mall??”
“It’s called ‘Monopoly’, not ‘anarchist workers collective’ you fucking hippy. Are you going to buy it or what? I have beer, I can wait.”

… people don’t tend to play it with me any more, thankfully.

16 Likes

Now I want a game called Anarchist Workers Collective. I imagine it it will focus on protests and bitter inter-factional fighting with a traitor mechanic but where everyone’s a (class) traitor. The game ends when everyone has formed their own splinter group.

20 Likes

Would actually be a fun sim game if it was designed well.

6 Likes

Another fix I’ve heard is to eliminate hotels, which limits the number of houses available. I can’t quite recall the details of how this makes the game play differently, though.

4 Likes

Ohh that was the dick strategy I remember now, buy up all the houses and don’t upgrade to hotels.

10 Likes
11 Likes

Anarchist Worker’s Collective is a pretty good game once you get it set up. Unfortunately, at least one of your friends will be denounced as a counter revolutionary and put before a firing squad before you’ve even placed all of the pieces on the board.

After that though, it’s amazing

9 Likes

I think you have got a mislabeled Bolshevik Workers Collective there. I think @strokeybeard knows about the real one.

Seriously though, an Anarchist Workers Collective game could work well as a cooperative game.

10 Likes

Currently this seems remarkably like the British Conservative Party. The only difference is that they will, briefly, vote together so that they can continue their internecine strife in government rather than out of it.

An organisation dedicated to proving that, no matter how dysfunctional US politics becomes, no matter how incompetent their President, the old country can still outdo them on dysfunctionality and incompetence.

7 Likes

Are we talking about Monopoly the game or Western capitalism in general?

11 Likes

There is a difference?

17 Likes

Beaten to it. My only regret is that I have but one like to give…

9 Likes