Our Felonious Ex-President

Good points!!

It’s a process that needs to be completed. The merits of the two tracks of these cases must be reviewed in the light of the facts. The meritless cases against Biden would not change Alabama’s slate of delegates, but the merits against Trump would be a real thing in swing states.

Not going all the way is why Clinton and Kerry both lost.

1 Like

The order sets Trump’s bond for the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations — or RICO — charge at $80,000, and adds $10,000 for each of the 12 other counts he is facing. Bond is the amount defendants must pay as a form of collateral to ensure they show up in court ahead of trial.

Bond was also set Monday for three lawyers who were indicted along with Trump. For each of them, the bond for the RICO charge was set at $20,000, with varying amounts for the other charges they face. John Eastman and Kenneth Chesebro each had a bond set at $100,000.

Bail bondsman Scott Hall, who was accused of participating in a breach of election equipment in rural Coffee County, had his bond set at $10,000. Another defendant, Georgia-based attorney Ray Smith, has been assessed a $50,000 bond. Smith is charged with helping organize fake electors for Trump and trying to sway Georgia lawmakers with false statements alleging election fraud.

5 Likes

Right, but by who? Do you really want a state Secretary of State unilaterally making that call? I don’t. If we allow that, every Presidential election from here on out will get tied up in court even before the election. I really think we need an actual decision from a court first declaring someone to be guilty of a crime that counts as insurrection or rebellion. Trump’s indictments in DC and Georgia may meet that test. And yes, even that would end up being challenged in court, but I think it would result in less chaos than allowing the individual states’ Secretaries of State to make that call without a criminal conviction behind the decision.

ETA: Ideally, Congress should have passed some legislation after the 14th Amendment was ratified detailing how all this is supposed to be determined. The Amendment explicitly granted Congress the authority to do that. Unfortunately, Congress never did. And so we’re left with legal scholars and political pundits all expressing their opinions about how this could work. The truth is, no one knows how it could work because it’s never been tested at the Presidential level. I just don’t want the process of figuring that out to delay the 2024 election. As it stands right now, I cannot see Trump or any other GOP candidate beating Biden. I could be wrong, but I think focusing on the election and getting people to vote is a more reliable path to preventing Trump from being President again than trying to use the 14th Amendment.

5 Likes

That’s why you call up an army of lawyers, like the Civil Rights movement, and fight them the fa every step. You don’t think the bullshit cases will stop if they’re ignored?

Yuscil Taveras, the director of information technology at Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s club in Palm Beach, Florida, changed his testimony last month about efforts to delete security camera video at the club after he changed from a lawyer paid for by Trump’s Save America PAC to a public defender, Tuesday’s filing says.

“When Trump Employee 4 testified before the grand jury in the District of Columbia in March 2023, he repeatedly denied or claimed not to recall any contacts or conversations about the security footage at Mar-a-Lago,” the filing says.

Taveras decided to change lawyers after he learned he was being investigated on suspicion of having made false statements in his previous grand jury testimony in Washington, D.C., the court filing says.

“Immediately after receiving new counsel, Trump Employee 4 retracted his prior false testimony and provided information that implicated Nauta, [Carlos] De Oliveira, and Trump in efforts to delete security camera footage, as set forth in the superseding indictment,” the filing says.

I’ll bet Trump really wants to engage in some witness tampering now…

5 Likes

I never said ignore it. But I still don’t want a system where a single Secretary of State gets to make this call unilaterally, and then rely on lawsuits to come to the correct decision. I mean…have you noticed the current iteration of the Supreme Court isn’t great at coming to the correct decision?

4 Likes

4 Likes

:scream:

4 Likes

He says that to all the girls.

5 Likes

Ah, “vice president” in this context is a euphemism.

4 Likes

Reports uncovered Cannon’s apparent unfamiliarity with some basic constitutional standards. And now a lawyer is coming forward with an “egregious” mistake by Judge Cannon.

As reported by the Daily Beast, in a recent criminal trial, the verdict form she gave to jurors did not include the option of finding the defendant guilty or not guilty.

The language Cannon selected for the verdict form includes a series of yes or no questions but never allows the jury to find the defendant “not guilty.” That’s just not something typically done.

headdesk

7 Likes

It’s HEEERRREEEE!!!

6 Likes

I’ve seen that face before.

5 Likes

reagan-ronald-reagan (1)

TFG went for the scolded impudent child look, rather than the arrogant king-of-the-world look he normally tries (and fails) to affect.

5 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Which one is Trump?

1 Like

When I saw that gaunt, dead-eyed mugshot of Trump, all I could think of was Lionel Atwill in The Mystery of the Wax Museum.

1 Like