Our ex-so-called president

Another fix I’ve heard is to eliminate hotels, which limits the number of houses available. I can’t quite recall the details of how this makes the game play differently, though.

4 Likes

Ohh that was the dick strategy I remember now, buy up all the houses and don’t upgrade to hotels.

10 Likes
11 Likes

Anarchist Worker’s Collective is a pretty good game once you get it set up. Unfortunately, at least one of your friends will be denounced as a counter revolutionary and put before a firing squad before you’ve even placed all of the pieces on the board.

After that though, it’s amazing

9 Likes

I think you have got a mislabeled Bolshevik Workers Collective there. I think @strokeybeard knows about the real one.

Seriously though, an Anarchist Workers Collective game could work well as a cooperative game.

10 Likes

Currently this seems remarkably like the British Conservative Party. The only difference is that they will, briefly, vote together so that they can continue their internecine strife in government rather than out of it.

An organisation dedicated to proving that, no matter how dysfunctional US politics becomes, no matter how incompetent their President, the old country can still outdo them on dysfunctionality and incompetence.

7 Likes

Are we talking about Monopoly the game or Western capitalism in general?

11 Likes

There is a difference?

17 Likes

Beaten to it. My only regret is that I have but one like to give…

9 Likes

Trump: Hold my beer. Challenge accepted.

12 Likes

I am Ernie to your Eric, and content to be so.

Edit - if you get this reference, you too need a “get off my lawn” placard.

4 Likes

If I don’t get the reference? (and a quick google shows me it something from the across the pond I only passingly know about)

1 Like
11 Likes

Then you are not British and middle aged+. I made the comment for the benefit of those who would get it; no harm intended.
Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise were a pair of British comedians who become very famous indeed in the UK as a result of an act which is hard to describe (it’s harder for foreigners to understand than the Pythons) but Ernie set up the jokes and Eric made them, which was my point.
Morecambe was the one who did the clowning, and he is the one who has a bronze memorial - at Morecambe.

3 Likes

As Masha said last year:

The national press is likely to be among the first institutional victims of Trumpism. There is no law that requires the presidential administration to hold daily briefings, none that guarantees media access to the White House. Many journalists may soon face a dilemma long familiar to those of us who have worked under autocracies: fall in line or forfeit access. There is no good solution (even if there is a right answer), for journalism is difficult and sometimes impossible without access to information.

The power of the investigative press—whose adherence to fact has already been severely challenged by the conspiracy-minded, lie-spinning Trump campaign—will grow weaker. The world will grow murkier. Even in the unlikely event that some mainstream media outlets decide to declare themselves in opposition to the current government, or even simply to report its abuses and failings, the president will get to frame many issues. Coverage, and thinking, will drift in a Trumpian direction, just as it did during the campaign—when, for example, the candidates argued, in essence, whether Muslim Americans bear collective responsibility for acts of terrorism or can redeem themselves by becoming the “eyes and ears” of law enforcement. Thus was xenophobia further normalized, paving the way for Trump to make good on his promises to track American Muslims and ban Muslims from entering the United States.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/11/10/trump-election-autocracy-rules-for-survival/

10 Likes

Wonder how much this has to play in the recent election:

5 Likes

Since the Democratic National Convention? Only from Sanders and Warren, nationally. The Resident’s splutterbutter and the DNC/RNC content-free appeals to establishment “decency” dominate the non-alt-right establishment. No real red meat anywhere but among the dispossessed.

2 Likes

Like I always say, if you’re not pissed off, you’re not paying attention, and likely have nothing at stake either.

As far as appeals to decency, that’s gotta be some kind of logical fallacy. Groups such as the political establishment have no decency or morals, because they’re not human beings but amoral unthinking groups of human beings. Individual people may have decency, but group dynamics are a different story entirely.

8 Likes

Will fallacy ever matter in political rhetoric? Sigh.

1 Like

There was a great line on Dead Ringers (satirical radio show) tonight

11 Likes