Our ex-so-called president

Even Trump has trumpgrets, apparently

6 Likes

For some reason I thought he was one of these guys, also in the Muppet universe:

2 Likes

I vaguely remember them. In any case, our so-called POTUS should’ve watched “Sesame Street”…oh wait…folks like that can’t learn new things very easily.

2 Likes

THAT’S the reason why?

The guy really doesn’t understand that you can’t dig your way out of a hole.

5 Likes

“The size of the loans — totaling about $300 million — is somewhat unusual by Wall Street standards, according to former and current Deutsche Bank executives and wealth managers at other Wall Street firms.”

3 Likes

That’s a good read.

1 Like

So basically, Trump is saying:

“Reviving the War on Drugs and increasing the prison population are both great ideas. Go with those. But I hired you to not investigate me!!”

6 Likes

Don’t forget civil asset forfeiture, where you don’t even need to be convicted of a crime for the cops to steal your stuff.

I have no love for trump, but if only one person goes down in all this, I very badly want it to be sessions.

8 Likes

“Although Deutsche Bank recently landed in legal trouble for laundering money for Russian entities — paying more than $600 million in penalties to New York and British regulators — there is no indication of a Russian connection to Mr. Trump’s loans or accounts at Deutsche Bank, people briefed on the matter said. The bank, which declined to comment, scrutinizes its accounts for problematic ties as part of so-called “know your customer” banking rules and other requirements.”

AHAHAHA! That is hilarious!

…Oh, wait? They’re actually serious??

Presumably, those are the same kind of “know your customer” rules that HSBC employed while laundering money for the Mexican cartels, Al Qaeda and Hamas, right…? Have a written rule that your underlings have to Know Your Customer just enough so that you can plausibly deny responsibility at the upper echelons of management, while simultaneously having an unwritten rule that dictates that anyone doing too much digging gets blackballed from the industry.

If there’s anyone I trust to self-audit, it’s definitely Wealth Managers… :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Honestly, I’m starting to feel that Donald Trump is a discarded character from an as-yet unaired season of Dallas (written exclusively by cretins) that was deemed too unrealistic and shallow to bring to air but who has, by some weird, Dickensian deus ex machina, clawed himself off the page and become some weird Ghost of Nepotism Future.

Like he was supposed to haunt us in our beds as a symbol of what could go wrong if we continued down the path of ego-driven capitalism and, rather than learning our collective lesson, he somehow ended up getting elected president.

That’s literally where I am at now, because the alternative is too stupid to even contemplate.

12 Likes

I hadn’t considered this. From the nasty troll qualities of their interactions online I believed (and still believe) the support is due to malice, ignorance, xenophobia, spite, and a relentless insistence on justifying aggression and violence toward others as an intrinsic constitutional right of preserving their “freedoms and liberties.”

It’s taking an achingly long time for me to move past this when I have only the online interactions to go by.

8 Likes

I thought so, too.

I wonder how representative the online trolls are of his total voter base. I’d guess they are a loud vocal minority that is more extremist than his average voter… Many folks haven’t found the on ramp to the information highway.

5 Likes

They are almost all nasty and motivated by hate and fear of the other, even if they are not literally internet trolls. Even if they are pining for an idyllic past that never existed, what would that past be? It would be one free of The Other. Even if bigotry isn’t their primary motivating factor, they are okay with bigotry existing, otherwise they wouldn’t have voted for Trump.

8 Likes

“Life was better when women didn’t have access to low-cost healthcare and mammograms!”
“Life was better when people either married the opposite sex or went into the clergy!”
“Life was better when we could take our guns into any ol’ coffeehouse we chose and shoot people if we were having a bad day, and say we were standing our ground!”
“Life was better without net neutrality!”
“Life’d be better if we had the fine, fresh, clean water Flint, Michigan has!”

11 Likes

In all seriousness, probably this:

3 Likes

Can’t I just watch Arthur again, instead?

4 Likes

Yes. I was basing that comment on the few conservatives I know. Anecdotal of course. I was going to explain how they are different than the typical outspoken Trump supporter that makes it into the news. But in the end they held their nose and voted for trump so fuck it. Not worth the time.

3 Likes

Hell, given that most people’s understanding of history is from old reruns and period pieces, a lot of them have probably edited out those “inconveniences”. Look at their hostility towards any media they find challenging in any way – whether it’s the news reporting on somehing they don’t agree with, or entertainment that puts non-chariactured women and POC’s in lead roles. There is a reason NCIS and Big Bang Theory top the network ratings: casting that’s familiar, and simple plotlines that largely confirm their worldview. They want the TV life they were promised growing up, not this gritty reboot.

4 Likes

From what I glean of your paragraph, your word choices of “reruns,” “media”, and mentions of television, is it fair to guess then that someone with only radio, internet and books but no television would be less likely to understand and side with Trump supporters? Can a case be made that test pattern == teat pattern?

2 Likes