5 Likes

Such heroism!

8 Likes

Also deserves

Герой Российской Федерации
(Hero of the Russian Federation)

5 Likes
13 Likes

With everything going on, you’d think the NYTimes would have something substantive to report under the line “White House Memo”, right?

It’s speculations about the unnatural orange glow. Seriously.

4 Likes

Eats a lot of carrots? (On his hamberders.)

3 Likes

Yesterday I heard from a coworker a furious, frustrated denunciation of Trump as being a kind of last suicide death-run operation of the KGB, to destroy 'Murica from within by putting the worst manager in the business world into the White House. “Communism is definitely coming back now.” It took a moment before I realized he was reciting a bit he’d seen. Or maybe he came up with it on his own. “Having a jape”, I think, is how some of you would put it.

Anyway, if that’s the case then we’re back to the problem of governing ourselves without giving it up to the military dictatorships of President-for-life/monarch/imperial-governor (people), state parties espousing traditional values (places), or an easily steerable global ideology of greed and murder (best-selling-book-things). Whether you call the best-selling-book-things Stalinism or Businessism, we’ve been in retreat since we found ourselves facing wave after wave of this shit. We need some actual hope that doesn’t mean competing genocides. And the magic Businessist can’t cut it. Look at all these fuckers up close and they can’t even hold a room anymore. The greedy, slippery arbitrager comes out into the light, blinks it’s eighteen sets of eyelids, flicks its delicate forked tongue, and the heaves from the audience drowns out what used to seem like an authority.

5 Likes

But who will be waming his hamberders and covfefe?

3 Likes

Since the midterms, Trump spent 60% of his work day in “Executive Time.”

8 Likes

7 Likes

More like

11 Likes

dolls

10 Likes

= watching Fox News

10 Likes

Funny, Ivanka doesn’t look Druish…

4 Likes

I really think his dementia is so bad that he can barely function anymore.

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s dementia. I have known several people who suffered from that and the symptoms were so very obvious that anyone encountering them would have known. Trump has too many interactions with people… At Mara-lago, at the summits, etc… to hide it. I think he’s just low-energy and unimaginative. I mean, as much of a toady as Lyndsay Graham is, I must believe that even he would speak out if he thought the President was actually impared.

6 Likes

I keep wavering between the dementia idea and the “just really fucking clueless” idea.

I recently leaned more towards the latter again when I heard this NPR reporter on a podcast recently. He’s the one (er, one of the ones?) Trump called out as an “asshole” while being recorded, while the guy was in the room.

The guy said that once he wasn’t being recorded, Trump gave him a big wink and said something to the effect of, “that’ll help your ratings, huh?”.

Two take-aways from that for me: one, Trump still thinks a lot of this is reality-show performative, complete with fake conflict to juice things up. He still doesn’t understand what being the president of a country means.

And two, because he makes the reporters feel like they’re in on it, that’s why they put up with his shit and are softer on him than they would be on someone else.

In both cases, I don’t think either Trump or the reporters realise how much damage is being done.

13 Likes

Funny article (in the Chicago Tribune, which has a limited number of free articles per month if you don’t open in incognito):

6 Likes

Gee, I thought it was real, till I came to this line: “Make sure you stop at the Trump gift store on the way out!” Then I laughed and realized it was a joke. Everyone knows there’s no Trump Gift Store is in the Capitol. It’s in the White House!

4 Likes

I think it’s similar to his supposed illiteracy. He obviously reads from teleprompters when he’s forced to, and he probably doesn’t like reading very much, but people still want to insist that he’s functionally illiterate.

3 Likes