Our ex-so-called president

“Whispering” via what looks like “tongue Morse code”.

3 Likes

Even Fox News is saying he may have fucked up in firing Reince:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/07/29/trumps-troubles-are-far-from-over-with-kelly-as-new-chief-staff-might-even-get-worse.html

5 Likes

“Hail Hydra.”

7 Likes

And before.
When blockading Cadiz, St. Vincent apparently sent a message complaining that too much water was being used and it needed to stop. Nelson apparently replied that if St. Vincent tried to reduce the amount of water the women used for washing and cleaning on board, there would be a mutiny. (During actions, the women supplied the guns with powder from the magazine. One reason that British warships rarely had explosions was said to be that they were much more careful about it than the men on foreign ships.)

After Trafalgar the government was apparently petitioned by the women on the ships to be awarded the same medal as the men. They were turned down because if the principle was granted it would have to apply to the Army too, and there was not enough money for the medals that would be needed.

5 Likes

I suspect Rupert Murdoch is wondering with some anxiety whether he may have offended Trump at some time in the past (he owns the WSJ after all) and whether one day when Trump gets around to it he might start looking into how Murdoch got US citizenship. It is dangerous to be a tall poppy when the dictator has been given a golf club.

6 Likes

See also:

Relevant bit starts at 3:00.

2 Likes

He murdered a guy named Robart Marduk and stole his social security number?

4 Likes

Robert Murdoch would never murder anyone!

He has people for that.

6 Likes

[quote]New Hampshire isn’t the only place where Democrats are notching local wins. A few weeks ago, Democrats managed to flip two seats in the Oklahoma state legislature in districts Trump won in 2016.

About 8,700 people came out to vote on Tuesday (nearly 21 percent turnout), which is more than a midsummer special election usually draws.

Most of these races are low-profile, and their immediate effects are minor. Republicans still control state legislatures in 32 states. But the victories in small races are starting to add up: In 21 of the 28 special elections held since November (including congressional races), Democratic candidates have outperformed Hillary Clinton’s 2016 election margins by an average of 12 points. They have won 13 races and flipped four.[/quote]

4 Likes

How incoherant and mudled can you be that you need Trump to writie your talking points for you?

6 Likes

Justice? Democracy? Why would the U.S. want to promote those little things?

3 Likes

To be fair, “democracy promotion” has often meant “proxy wars, shamelessly started to control resources.” If Tillerson wanted to get rid of that particular aspect of US foreign policy, I’d be all for it.

Unfortunately, I don’t think subtlety is really a strong point of any current member of the GOP. When Tillerson says it, I suspect he means “keep on invading other countries, just stop pretending you give a shit about them afterwards”…

8 Likes

No doubt, but going from

The Department’s mission is to shape and sustain a peaceful, prosperous, just, and democratic world and foster conditions for stability and progress for the benefit of the American people and people everywhere.

to

Lead America’s foreign policy through global advocacy, action and assistance to shape a safer, more prosperous world.

definitely doesn’t sound like it’s any sort of improvement on that. At least the older statement had more of an ideal for all, even if the implementation doesn’t always live up to it.

6 Likes

Dictators gonna dictate

ETA hey Trump, how’s Putin’s dictate?

8 Likes

13 Likes

I have to say many of the journalists who made a career (in recent years) by criticizing the Democrats from the left seem very confused by the current state of politics too. A lot of strange stories being pushed on barely-reading or not caring other stories, and a lot of making fun of Russia conspiracies (especially today when Trump singing the veto-proof sanctions bill). Then again, news has gotten weird under Trump.

5 Likes

If your politics come out of the peace movements of the '60s, '70s, and '80s, the protests against the Vietnam War and against nuclear weapons and against the interventions in Central America, then who are your candidates today? Clinton? Trump? Your issues aren’t on the table. Your issues are not in the media. It’s impossible to even talk about them. You get lumped in with conspiracy theorists and religious nuts.

6 Likes

I made no statement about the people whose personal politics have no representation, I am lamenting that many people I read regularly for progressive political insight seem to only be interested in only attacking Democrats or MSM with less and less rigor in their journalism. Articles attacking Kamilla Harris for being against trans right when as AG he requested a temporary stay on a sexual reassignment until an active court case was over (the pay-for-play accusations about being supported by Mnuchin is at least accurate) or searching media for another quote to take out of context like how Kevin Drum hates all homeless people, it gets really old really fast.

4 Likes

7 Likes
4 Likes