Our ex-so-called president

Are we about to find out?

2 Likes

Nah. Not the same order of magnitude. It’s like the Pulse Nightclub massacre… but the victims are country music fans instead of gay people, so there is that.

It’s really a sad commentary that I’m comparing this to something that happened last year. This should never happen, end of story, but the truth is, there is at least one mass shooting every day in the US, and the vast majority of them are not considered sexy enough to make the news. If it’s gang or drug related, it doesn’t usually get covered. If it’s a family annihilation, it doesn’t make the news either. Soon, maybe shootings like these with dozens of deaths will be considered equally unsexy. 'Murkah.

But I don’t think this will be Trump’s 9/11 because the shooter was:

64-year-old Stephen Paddock

Which means, of course, say it with me:

“Right now, we believe it’s a sole actor, a lone-wolf-type actor,” the sheriff said.

15 Likes

"He was probably mentally ill"
is next.

13 Likes

Even if he was… he’s dead now. There’s no opportunity for assessment/learning (never mind rehabilitation) if he’s dead.

Recently there was an Amber Alert in Quebec and Ontario. An estranged father had taken his kid, killed the mother, and then killed a stranger and stolen his car. They were eventually found in Ontario.

The man tried to kill himself, but was unsuccessful, and I’m glad. If he’s alive, he stands trial and doesn’t get to go down as a martyr.

We need more shooters to live so people can learn what they’re like when they’re not shooting people.

11 Likes

I can just see politicians struggling to respond:

I am appalled  We are appalled  America is appalled at  Our prayers go out to  the murder victims  victims and survivors families of  those affected by the  mass slaughter  mass murder  mass shooting   horrible horrendous  unfortunate  recent incident in Las Vegas.  Rest assured that    I    we   Congress will    swiftly    pass legislation    hold hearings    study   hold prayer meetings to deal with this    terrible problem of guns   incident.

11 Likes

May’s “own goal”?

4 Likes

Oz politicians who get tangled in scandal are sometimes said to be playing on a sticky wicket. And our press conferences involve a media scrum. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

“Own goal” applies to ice hockey, too. Happens more frequently than in footy, too.

5 Likes

let me add:

we couldn’t have known we were busy attending an nra event at the time. this is totally unexpected and tragic and anyways what if he’d had a knife!?. nothing could have stopped this besides gun control, of course. please lets not talk about politics right now while true, as a politician that’s literally my sole job, i really have to get back to fundraising now.

5 Likes

Well that’s just not cricket!

4 Likes

And rightly so. Too soon, you monster.

I’m probably making a mistake using a link to that site, but for now it’s safe

2 Likes

And “hat trick” - isn’t that hockey?

5 Likes

When it comes to sports metaphors, I think Trump is largely guilty of double-dribbling.

5 Likes

5 Likes

It’s taking three wickets in cricket with successive balls.
Uncommon.

6 Likes

The parallels to the Roman Empire are getting closer by the day, it seems.

Less gay sex.

Then again, I don’t want to intrude on Mike Pence’s private life.

That’s a big difference between him and me.

4 Likes

A citation is definitely needed for that.

3 Likes

More gay sex?

Only Mike Pence knows for sure.

I just read about Trump throwing paper towels at a crowd in Puerto Rico and for some reason it’s bothering me more than even the other nasty crap he gets up to. He threw bags of rice too but… paper towels. To mop up the hurricane floods I suppose?

It wasn’t even in the hardest-hit part of the island either.

I’m amazed no-one risked arrest and threw them back.

7 Likes