Our ex-so-called president

That’s part of the problem: Americans who are deeply upset by comparatively minor misbehaviour at home, but are completely comfortable with constant indiscriminate mass-murder abroad.

To borrow from an old BB thread:

“Non-American people do not deserve the same rights as Americans” (or, to put it less politely, “only Americans are truly human”) is a constant theme in American politics.

From inside America, it appears that this is such a normal thing as to be almost invisible. From outside America, this fact provides clear and constant justification for implacable anger (or, again, if we drop the diplomacy: “righteously bloodthirsty rage”).

5 Likes

Except, y’know, that’s not what I said at all. I mean, if you’re just talking about the U.S. in general, then sure. But it’s definitely not what I was saying or implying, and it’s a very different context than the twitter post I copied.

Also, I somehow doubt that problem has gone away with Trump’s entry. So if I say, essentially, “I’d prefer to be dealing with a smaller set of problems than a larger set that includes that smaller set”, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t take that as though I’d be comfortable with the smaller set.

[edit: nope, problem doesn’t appear to have gone away with Trump. Instead, it’s bigger, and all the other problems added on as well…]

Under Trump, the United States has dropped about 20,650 bombs through July 31, or 80 percent the number dropped under Obama for the entirety of 2016. At this rate, Trump will exceed Obama’s last-year total by Labor Day.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Trump is described as flying on his helicopter when he learns that Manafort has said “Trump shouldn’t be on television anymore, that he shouldn’t be on the Sunday shows” and that Manafort should appear instead. Trump was angrier than Lewandowski had ever seen him, ordering the pilot to lower the altitude so he could make a cellphone call.

“Did you say I shouldn’t be on TV on Sunday? I’ll go on TV anytime I goddamn fucking want and you won’t say another fucking word about me!” Trump yelled at Manafort, according to Lewandowski. “Tone it down? I wanna turn it up! . . . You’re a political pro? Let me tell you something. I’m a pro at life. I’ve been around a time or two. I know guys like you, with your hair and skin . . .”

6 Likes

4 Likes
8 Likes

A professional scientific society is suing:

http://vertpaleo.org/Society-News/SVP-Paleo-News/Society-News,-Press-Releases/Grand-Staircase-Escalante-and-Bears-Ears-National.aspx

Changes the score on renewing my membership, which I hadn’t planned to do.

8 Likes
10 Likes

Trump’s lawyer is already denying any subpoena.

3 Likes
10 Likes

I’m sure the accompanying article could mention him…

6 Likes

(It’s sad that so much of the commentary on this tweet is devoted to debating whether calling someone “progressive” automatically implies that they’re backed by Bernie Sanders)

4 Likes

Yes! Great news!

And my parents can suck it.

3 Likes

This is an interesting race. Norwood mostly only cares about fiscal conservatism, but took a sharp progressive bend to her message during the campaign that really resonated (safety, transparency, sustainability, and prosperity). As far as I can tell, it’s basically identical to Norwood’s run in 2009.

3 Likes

It was also racially charged. Most of the candidates were black. I remember there being racist robocall propaganda against Bottoms.

I suppose Norwood could have been worse, but Bottoms was my preferred candidate all along.

2 Likes

UK Example

Also remember, no election is unwinnable.

5 Likes

BC Version:

Never ever think things aren’t close. Never ever think your vote can’t make a difference.

4 Likes

Is Bottoms actually leftish, or just another routine Democratic politician? I didn’t follow that contest in detail.

1 Like

11th-doc-this

She was still preferable to Norwood, but she’s part of the democratic machine in the city, for sure, Reed’s handpicked successor.

1 Like

I will take what I can get. There is no real left in US politics.

Also, I don’t live in Atlanta, but my parents do, and I’ve had to listen to them bitch and moan about the black candidates. Not only do we have no functioning left, we don’t have a functioning right either. We just have a right wing that calls itself left wing, and a sizeable bloc of people that votes mostly based on race hatred and calls themselves right wing

5 Likes