Over/Under-rated movies: the redux

Yes, I just don’t think Ford pulls it off. Keanu does though, but it’s kind of his thing.

4 Likes

I both love the film and the soundtrack.

Harrison Ford is grim and disaffected, but that seems to be a deliberate choice, from what I’ve read about the behind-the-scenes drama. Whether on his part or Ridley Scott’s depends on who’s telling the making-of stories.

The spacy Vangelis soundtrack is my regular atmospheric work-music rotation and the atmosphere and world of Blade Runner is one I love to sink into.

10 Likes

Not a fan of the movie, but David Brin’s original novel is a must-read.

2 Likes

I love The Fall. I think that was my choice in the other thread. Some people think the movie shouldn’t be allowed to hide behind its central conceit when it comes its limitations, but I think it works wonderfully.

This time I nominate I… comme Icare a 1979 French thriller about a prosecutor investigating the assassination of the president of an unnamed fictional country, not entirely unlike a certain famous real assassination. Directed by Henri Verneuil, starring Yves Montand with a soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. What more could you ask for?

3 Likes

Esper Retirement Edition has all the stuffs, including a whole disc of foley art

2 Likes

Internet radio link for putting in one’s favorite audio player: http://somafm.com/sf1033.pls

2 Likes

Thank you. Every time I have tried to watch Blade Runner, either alone or with others, I have fallen asleep. At least 4 times. I’ve given up, I will never be able to complete this film.

3 Likes

Gah! I just remembered that one! We were shown some of it in French class. I got fixated on the one woman’s oxblood-coloured leather skirt in the scene where all those people duck behind something during the shooting.

Now I need to watch the whole thing.

2 Likes

Saw this the other day:

1. It’s very good, although it’s likely to be the sort of film that draws love/hate responses. A bit Hal Hartley in places; setting and dialogue that is simultaneously naturalistic and very theatrical.

2. It ain’t what you think it is. It’s a serious, thoughtful film, and it’s mostly about addiction and abuse. There’s absurdity and fun as well, but it goes to some dark places.

6 Likes

Over-rated: “Citizen Kane”, except for the cinematography.

Under-rated: “You Can’t Take It with You”.

6 Likes

One of my all time favorite (underrated or not) movies is The Congress. Visually beautiful. It looks at a possible future where personal avatars and famous personalities blur and life and entertainment become one. If one wants to pick it apart on some of the technical logistics they are there to find. But i prefer to think of the technology in the movie as a placeholder for technology we cannot yet imagine. Instead I prefer to focus om the characters, the journey and the bigger questions not how future technology works. I have now watched it around 12 times and I love it more every time. And if you don’t cry at the final scene then I don’t know what to say to you.

11 Likes

This looks interesting. Too bad it doesn’t seem to be available for streaming…

4 Likes

It’s been a year or so since I last watched it. I’m pretty sure I watched it on Amazon Prime via Roku.

2 Likes

I’ll check again - according to canistream.it it’s not available, but maybe that’s inaccurate.

2 Likes

I can’t tell from my work PC. It’s available as a rental. Then the page says I quality for free streaming but then following that link I don’t find it. So maybe they removed it from free prime streaming. I will check tonight from the Roku for you.

1 Like

It is available on Amazon - $4. I’ll watch it sometime in a couple weeks when work gets a little less stressful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just checked and I see the same.

I don’t recall if you are a canabis user or not but some edibles at the start of the movie will kick in right when you want them to around the 40 minute mark. I like it for getting more immersed into movies.

I don’t medicate herbally but perhaps a whiskey or two will have the same effect. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely.

If you like the trippy aspects of The Congress then make sure to check out Paprika. Inception was partially based on this movie.

7 Likes

I would like to draw everyone’s attention to a little movie called “The Tall T.”

At 78 minutes, I think it might even have been a B movie, but it has a great cast, great direction and great story-telling. The original story is by Elmore Leonard, in his western period, adapted for the screen by Burt Kennedy.

I’m not a big fan of Westerns in general, but this is just a great movie. Please be warned: There is no explanation of the title at any point in the film.

And it has one of cinema’s great last lines, in my opinion anyway, “Come on now. It’s gonna be a nice day.”

9 Likes