Over/Under-rated movies: the redux

Hey, I liked Rat Pfink a Boo Boo!

3 Likes

That reminds me, I re-watched Nosferatu the Vampyre (which is odd, because Kinski is constantly referred to as Count Dracula rather than Orlock).
It’s a mixed bag for both production values and acting, but still, Kinski is my favorite vampire.
I kept thinking to myself, “Dammit. Give me the camera. This is how you frame this shot!”
However, it was extremely clever lighting and camera work when Orlock…I mean Dracula, first confronts Isabella Adjani in her room. Very good trickery to show the shadow climbing the wall, but not his body, in the mirror.

7 Likes

As I recall, that depends on which language version you watch. (The two versions were shot almost completely separately. I think even most of the dialogue free shots used different takes.) In one of the versions, he can be seen in the mirror. Oops!

5 Likes

This week was Hercules Against The Moon Men or really Maciste and the Queen of Samar but since nobody outside of Italy knew who the hell Maciste was back then he got renamed to Hercules, Samson, Goliath, etc. for international releases.

So the mystic land of Samar survives by monthly sacrifices of the young uns (well teens it looks like) to the monsters of the mountain who arrived on a meteor years ago. The queen is ambitious and goes along with the invaders as she is promised eternal beauty and to rule the earth, Her adviser who is old enough to know of better times has sent for Hercules to help overthrow the moon men. We have the standard subplots of love, betrayal, double crosses, busty women, and plenty of Alan Steele (Sergio Ciani) showing off his lovely oiled up pecs and abs. Also lots of cheap sets mixed with stock footage of volcanoes and hurricanes for the finale.

Goofy fun but the print we had was pretty bad as far as picture quality goes. Could have been better, and could have been a lot worse. Totes worth seeing if you are a sword and sandals fan or there is always the MST3K version as well.

7 Likes

As far as Herc in a semi-sci-fi setting goes, I preferred these two:

2 Likes

Well I say we celebrate!

4 Likes

And that I did today… Early birthday present for me of sorts. I found out Friday that MST3K Live with Joel was in town tonight. And there were actually tickets left. I went with the kid and it was great fun.

Here is the kid posing in front of the stage.

7 Likes

Oh. I didn’t know Joel was doing that. What movie did they do?

2 Likes

Deathstalker 2 (somehow the first one made enough money they did a sequel)

ETA a non MST3K version is on youtube…

4 Likes

There can never be too many Deathstalker movies.

I think Deathstalker II preceeded his turn with the Warriors from Heck.

3 Likes

Joel was bestest. Back when MST3K was a goofy late-night thing on St. Paul PBS, guess he figured no one outside the Twin Cities would ever know of the show - he was bunny-eyed for most of ‘em. :joy:

6 Likes

I came in on ground zero with MST3K, watched it in college on UHF channel 45.
They were in the middle of riffing “City on Fire!”

ME: Did someone leave the studio mike on?
What are those shadows at the bottom of the screen?
Is that a dog?

Big fan ever since.

7 Likes

Am I wrong in wanting the other deathstalker to get adapted?

2 Likes

Final movie for the fall quarter. The Car. Umm yeah a demon possessed car terrorizes a desert town. There really isn’t much more to it than that other than it seems happy to quickly kill everyone but the hero. Still a lot of fun and a nice 1970’s twist on a creature feature. Some bog standard characters but everyone does a good job of playing the parts and nobody is phoning it in.

I remember seeing this one in the theater. Possibly the second run $1 show that we could walk to.

6 Likes

I think Stephen King said somewhat nice things about this one, so it’s a likely inspiration for Christine. (Yeah, I know, this is not much of a surprise.)

7 Likes

I remember watching that on USA or one of those basic cable channels that were still on when the networks stopped broadcasting.

It had it’s moments.

5 Likes

As I recall the car itself was pretty cool.

6 Likes

Indeed it was. But then it was made by George Barris so how could it not be.
They made 4 of them for the film and 2 were destroyed during the shooting.

6 Likes

Speaking of avenging car movies (is that a Netflix category) I’m reminded of The Wraith

I remember liking it high school, but know it would not stand up.

But…

It is on Amazon Prime Video…

4 Likes

any thoughts on the clovehitch killer?

2 Likes