Pope request priests be allowed to marry

Not just cynics – we were taught it was one of the reasons outright in Catholic school.

6 Likes

I think I see the problem

3 Likes

Yes, stone them good!

9 Likes

HOLY SMOKES!  

7 Likes

Jesuitical, eh - confusing you edit: people in general and not at all @gadgetgirl. Must be clearer. by telling the truth.

We had a Jesuit who ran our class on Newton. In the middle of one seminar he suddenly announced out of the blue “Gee, I really dig Newton” - this dates this post, doesn’t it?
I’m sure he was a closet Deist. But the Catholic Church had paid for his doctorate. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you…
Right up until he met a woman and suddenly decided that the Episcopalians were really where it was at, theologically. Nice chap.

6 Likes

The only way it would be holier is if the paper was actual pages from the bible. I nominate the whole bullshit section about Sodom and Gomorrah.

5 Likes

I had that thought exactly. I knew someone who did that, er… religiously in college until I gave him the heads up about what exactly is in the inks!!

4 Likes

The person I know who did, did it out of poverty, but the burning of pages was a finger to the church, which they totally got behind. I doubt the content of the ink ever crossed their mind. Of course, these days, it’s all high end glass with fancy (legal) flowers for them.

6 Likes

Indeed, how times change! I once used a book as TP while I was reading it, but now I could hardly imagine wiping my butt with my kindle.

6 Likes

Florists will be opening here in just over 6 months. It’s about time!

I want flowers to be left in lieu of donations at my funeral.

3 Likes

I wonder when and if this does happen, whether or not it will be like marriage for Eucharistic Ministers. You can become a Eucharistic Minister if you are already married but can’t date or marry after becoming one. We had a religious teacher, in her 40’s I think, who lost her husband when I was in middle school, and I remember all the kids sadly realizing that the church expected her to remain alone for the rest of her life.

I would hope they would just drop that rule for everyone.

9 Likes

Who’s confused? Catholic school made me the pantheist, neo-pagan-holiday-celebrating person I am today, and I don’t resent the experience one bit.
I never went to a Catholic school that was all about strictness and grim people in black robes – I went to a Catholic school taught mostly by reconstructed hippies still glowing from Vatican II and determined to make us into moral, thinking, spiritual people. A guidance counsellor’s office sported a Question Authority bumper sticker (underneath which was handwritten “except the principal”).

The school chaplain was a brown-robe-wearing Franciscan who encouraged his own nickname of Obi Wan Kenobi, and whose morning masses tried to imitate early Christian meetings as much as possible. They’d removed all the chairs in the chapel and put in risers to make it more grotto-like – it wasn’t unusual for sometime to listen to mass half lying down.

13 Likes

that there is, IMO, their solution.

3 Likes

Maybe Classical Greek has more connotation and context than mere word substitution? Translation of books has known this for a long time.

Not saying the (Protestant? Not just academic?) translation was especially good. Maybe “to burn” meant in connotation in a particular 20 year period of X to mean “be cremated a pauper with no legacy”. That’s the way to properly translate with context, but we don’t know the context to that granularity.

3 Likes

There’s a strong tradition of word-for-word Bible translation. Ancient cases where (a) different words translated the same Greek word in different contexts or (b) different word order translated the Greek word order or © a paraphrase was used instead are rare and important.

2 Likes

Too much granularity, for sure. The inevitable simplification from having only approximate knowledge (no native contemporary speakers, or anything close) makes the word-to-word translation attractive, but then calls into question the wisdom of the whole enterprise of religion based on ancient text. I mean, apart from all the other reasons…

4 Likes

I’m talking about word-for-word in ancient translations from Koine Greek to other ancient languages. Wouldn’t late ancient Koine Greek be close to classical ancient Koine Greek?

1 Like

In most cases… probably.

2 Likes

As does the worship of the US Constitution.

8 Likes

Yes why do people worship an old ship?

1 Like