Possibly untrue science news

What the hell, dude? You’re really invested in insulting anyone who thinks anything the slightest bit good about this rocket launch, aren’t you?

That was absolutely sincere advice to you. Don’t confuse dissing Musk and the fact of his cult of personality with something personal directed at you.

What is personal is that you seem to be confusing my being impressed by this launch and how successful it was, as me somehow being a “fan” that you need to “keep straight”, who is somehow going to be “brought down” by Musk’s “failures” and “flim flam”.

You clearly have an axe to grind here, and I want no part of it. I couldn’t care less about Musk or his personality. Keep your “sincere advice” to yourself.

3 Likes

Pretty sure I talked about Musk, speaking up for the skeptics. It’s a news event and the tech world isn’t a lockstep ideological movement. Maybe I’m wrong about that, it does seem very tolerant of billionaire fuckups.

You didn’t like what I had to say, you think I’m being personal. You’re wrong, but I’m done with this snipey back and forth, where I address the subject of the news and am myself attacked personally for my opinion.

Please do explain how “Don’t let the failures bring you down too much” is somehow directed at Musk and not the person you’re replying to.

I’m giving this topic a timeout.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reminder @LockeCJ - this topic is reopened for business.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Not surprising at all.

1 Like
3 Likes

I had speculated that abstract art, representational art, and language had come from contacts between different kinds of human minds-- starting with different populaions in Africa.

If this is true, then I guess I was probably wrong:

6 Likes

Probably is. Neanderthals developed the first industrial process:

5 Likes

I’m putting this here because scientists had such a hard time believing it and argued so much against what was presented. Personally, I don’t see the footprints breaking the “out of Africa” thesis – they were found in Greece, not Finland.

It’s like the recent finds in North America which indicate First Nations people have been in North America longer than previously thought. A curtain is being pulled back.

3 Likes

But science fiction has always told me that most time travel tends to go pear-shaped in the end…

14 Likes

Given that we don’t know how to deliberately time travel yet, I’m not worried.

2 Likes

If we can go into the past, and the past is already determined, then the future is already determined too.

If we can’t go into the past, then regardless whether the past is already determined, the future need not be.

1 Like

Thank you, Spock.

5 Likes

I’ve always thought that time being a dimension that one could travel on was improper anyway. I think change is the fundamental time-like quantity, instead of time. Thus we only exist in the present, but things are changing within us and around us. We “travel” into the future all the time, but really its just the present changing. Thus time travel is impossible; there are no other times to travel to.

With this idea, traveling (spatially) near the speed of light wouldn’t be altered from Einstein’s; change would just happen more slowly.

I dunno, it makes sense to me.

4 Likes