Possibly untrue science news

It’s as they say: nature abhors a vacuum.

For that matter, so do I: they’re noisy, smelly things that kick dust up everywhere.

10 Likes

I thought it’s a basic assumption of “science” that the rules are supposed to be the same everywhere. We’re supposed to assume that the triple point of water and the planck length and the speed of light are the same on your street as on my street and in the past, present, and future.

So it kinda seems to me that any story that includes a bit like “And at this moment the laws of nature changed” is not a scientific hypothesis. When cosmologists talk about “inflation” they’re admitting they don’t have a story that works for when the (observable) universe was less than a millimeter across.

4 Likes

The Big Rip, though, is where the tidal forces of the accelerating universe affect everything everywhere, forcing a universal event horizon. It doesn’t seem very nonexistent to me, just a violent dissassembly of space and time. A geometry that works with that might look like a big bang.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Cats. Cats abhor a vacuum. They know something we don’t know.

11 Likes

When I was a kid we had a cat who loved being vacuumed with the round brush. You’d turn the machine on and he’d come running. It was amazing to see.

8 Likes

That I would like to see!

Today I discovered that one of my cats is no longer terrified of the swiffer. Because my daughter uses it to knock bugs down from high places so that the cat can chase them. Now when she (the cat, not my daughter) sees the swiffer, she thinks it’s playtime and runs around looking for bugs to hunt.

9 Likes

I think this came from here originally, but it’s worth another view:

16 Likes

As I recall, Claude liked his back vacuumed. He’d kind of spread out on his tummy, like a ball of Silly Putty left on the table overnight.

That was a while back. Claude was a pretty cool Siamese, with an amazing vocabulary.

6 Likes
14 Likes

Do you have to eat it? Or just spread it on your body?

7 Likes

9 Likes

Colby Jack is the most badass non-gendered name I can think of right. Mostly because “Colby Jack” is in my brain right now.

3 Likes

Correlation is not necessarily causation.

It’s like when people claim sleeping more causes health problems, when health problems can cause people to sleep more. Or that fantasies of becoming female cause gender dysphoria. Or that hard work can protect against disabilities, which is one of the rationales for Medicaid work requirements. Or that believing you control your fate can lead anyone to prosperity and protect anyone from misfortune or injustice.

5 Likes

I’m tempted to make some kind of image “Breaking News! Eating healthy food reduces chances of death! May potentially be a cure for starvation!”

But more seriously, fermented/pickled foods etc. seem to be good in ways that we don’t even understand yet. We have whole biomes living in/on us in symbiosis, but so far all we seem to know is that gut bacteria is somehow important, but it seems like no one really knows the details yet.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Isn’t living in the future grand?

5 Likes

The tinfoil hat guys are on to something. Gah, how insidious.

4 Likes

5 Likes

This is why we need a Space Force!

Interestingly my high school physics teacher in the 80s mentioned you could turn an old microwave oven into a type of microwave gun.

8 Likes