Possibly untrue science news

Noted entertainers J. S. Bach and G. F. Handel both went blind due to “dodgy eye surgery” (by the same quack). Bach died of complications shortly thereafter. I think one should be circumspect about dealing with the kinds of quack who would do such eye surgery for “science-y” reasons.

14 Likes

more details

11 Likes

But to be fair “Billboard” is a highly respected, peer-reviewed journal of science.

5 Likes

She was much better when she wasn’t dating Elon Musk and spouting woo…

7 Likes

Coinky-dink? I think not.

9 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes
11 Likes

That’s the best article I’ve read on infrasound yet, thank you!

This part really struck me:

If infrasound hits at just the right strength and frequency, it can resonate with human eyes, causing them to vibrate. This can lead to distorted vision and the possibility of “ghost” sightings. Or, at least, what some would call ghost sightings. Infrasound may also cause a person to “feel” that there’s an entity in the room with him or her, accompanied by that aforementioned sense of dread.

That describes one apartment I used to live in, and also an office I used to work in, although the office had other strange stuff happening in it as well.

14 Likes

You’re welcome. It’s interesting

7 Likes
9 Likes

I wonder if it would be possible to combine a rover with a delayed sample return mission. I know the Soviets did each, separately. But the sample return probes weren’t designed to scout for geologically significant rock from significant sites. Such as anorthosite. I suppose the biggest technical problem is whether the return rockets would last long enough…

2 Likes
8 Likes

The video clearly shows it pointing left in the mirror. Fake news! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah, but that loops off into a whole discussion of Platonism, so…

5 Likes

Actually it doesn’t point either way. It’s pointless. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Is there an explanation somewhere? Because I just see a twitter post with an unlikely image with a url-shortener link which probably leads to twitter again… and doesn’t work with threadreaderapp because url-shortener.

P.S. Apparently Twitter has software to shorten all urls. Never mind that this is bad practice and breaks accessibility tools.

It’s basically using a forced perspective to make your brain merge together the pointy bits into a rounded-looking shape (and to see a rounded shape as pointy) in both positions. You can sort of see what’s going on when it’s being turned:

Since the whole thing’s white it’s tough to see except by shading, but there’s portions of the shape that are sharply curved upwards or downwards, and your eyes see them differently depending on their orientation.

4 Likes

See also, the view from directly above the shape:

7 Likes

That’s a much better shot of it. You can tell how that downwards fold on the upper part of the right side of it would, in perspective, end up hiding some of the width (and much of the curve) when you’re looking at it from the high side. But from the low side, you see the entire length of that fold and the entire curve is presented to you.

Related illusion from the same person, with simpler shapes:

5 Likes