Possibly untrue science news

Nsaids can give me vomiting, gut pain, joint pain, whole body pain, and migraines.

2 Likes

When I was giving birth to my son and the pain finally got too much for me to deal with, I was put on a Demerol drip.

Well! As a teen, Iā€™d taken Valiums of varying strength (5-10 g, more than 1 at a time), drank all manner of alcohol, downed mescaline, smoked lots of pot, took speed pills, accidentally snorted five lines of angel dust (I was told it was crystal thc) - but Iā€™d never felt anything like that before! And I knew folks who were addicted to Diludids. I was a little late for Quaaludes though.

Now that Iā€™m older and getting creakier - if Iā€™d known Iā€™d make to 58, Iā€™dā€™ve taken better care of myself, lol - I do take OTC painkillers, but I tend to build up a resistance to them. So itā€™s only when itā€™s really bad will I take any. Plus, the idea of all that paste that they make the pills out ofā€¦ewyuck.

4 Likes

superconductors nuclear fusion need chatgpt moment

1 Like
4 Likes

Black holes were theorized to sometimes spin on an axis. This is the first time this has ever been actually observed. The team could image the jet flowing out of the black hole, and see how the jet precessed over the last few years due to it spinning.

Hereā€™s an image I put together from the image in Nature:

You can see the wobble of the direction of the jet. Itā€™s like how a top or dreidel wobbles around as it spins.

6 Likes

Calvinosaurus is no longer the largest known theropod!

2 Likes

Let the devolution begin!

3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this will be related, but I just picked up this book at a second hand book shopā€¦

Iā€™ll probably get around to reading it in a few yearsā€¦

3 Likes

Apparently, when the Hittites performed certain religious rituals, they performed them in the original language. And their descriptions of these rituals are a major source for the surrounding languages, especially Luwian, but apparently now also including Kaskian.

4 Likes
1 Like

So thatā€™s why the U.S. outlawed Kinder Eggsā€¦

9 Likes
7 Likes

I would argue that regular holes were also created by the Big Bangā€¦

4 Likes

After the usual preliminary remarks and thanks, Vernon opted to forego ā€œserious and heavyā€ commentary for the following revelation:

There is a species of water beetle that regularly gets swallowed whole by frogs. And while thereā€™s a lot of things you can do to keep from being eaten, once youā€™re inside a frog, your options are severely limited. Generally you get digested. But this particular species of beetle said ā€œYou know, I bet thereā€™s another way.ā€ And it started walking. In fact, it walked through the frogā€™s digestive tract and out the back end.

This is 100 percent true, you can look it up.

R. attenuataā€™s survival rate was a whopping 93 percent. In fact, ā€œ19 out of 20 of these beetles will simply walk out of the frog, unharmed,ā€ Vernon noted. ā€œIt usually takes them about an hour, although one beetle speed-ran the frog in five minutes, which Iā€™m sure was very exciting for the frog.ā€

The moral of this story, if there is one, is that no matter how dark the situation, there is always a way through. And thereā€™s always a light at the end of the frog.

9 Likes
7 Likes

The doctors found that from 2014 to 2022, the yearly total of situs inversus cases was typically about five to six per 10,000 pregnant people undergoing ultrasounds. But, in 2023, the rate jumped to nearly 24 cases per 10,000 ultrasound screenings.

Looking at the 2023 cases by month, the researchers noted that the surge in situs inversus began in April and continued to June before returning to background rates in July. In all, there were 56 cases of situs inversus between January and July of 2023 among 23,746 pregnant people undergoing ultrasounds.

9 Likes
7 Likes

The Messier number for my office is -1030; i.e., Messier than most.

4 Likes