Possibly untrue science news

Let her know we loved the book! (My wife does database work supporting cancer research.)

3 Likes

A couple years old, but interesting:

3 Likes
7 Likes

Something I haven’t seen reputed on before: back when I taught summer school in a building without air conditioning, we used to have Coke or Diet Coke with breakfast because it was too hot for tea or coffee, even first thing in the morning. Some of us noticed the Diet Coke would make us feel spaced out for about an hour after we drank it. Not sure if it was a reaction to the aspartame (which gives me hives now) or something else.

7 Likes

And they have bad aftertaste.

6 Likes

Time for sweet tea or iced coffee.

3 Likes

Bière d’épinette. The real stuff prevents scurvy. :wink:

1 Like

Neither of which are terribly Canadian. Iced coffee has caught on since, but iced tea (sweet tea was and still largely is unknown) back then was made from mixing powder in water, like Kool-Aid, and often didn’t have caffeine in it.

4 Likes

Ah. Proper mid-century North American fare.

5 Likes

“Iced tea” in Canada is almost exactly completely unlike tea.

I remember (well, as best as I remember anything, so not really “remember” so much as “remember the story”) going to the States as a kid, and ordering an iced tea with my food court meal. When the lady saw I had Canadian money (it was a near-to-a-border town, and at that time anyone was prepared to do exchange. This was back before passports were needed), she warned me with great concern that it was “real tea”. I guess they had more than a few Canadians shocked by the taste.

I told her that was exactly why I wanted it.

I grew up drinking tea – my grandparents liked it strong enough to melt the spoon. Canadian iced tea wasn’t worthy of the name tea (and in most cases still isn’t). It’s just one of the few non-carbonated options.

Sweet tea, however, is often made too sweet. Yeah, I said it. I want tea, not tea-coloured sugar.

10 Likes

The scary part is of you mix it just right, you can dissolve the tea granules but make most of the sugar fall to the bottom of the glass. Makes it less sweet.

3 Likes

…Isn’t this pretty much exactly what all the fuss in Cuba was about?

5 Likes

Or Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome. (also disputed)

It’s debatable exactly what’s going on, and how noise causes hearing problems, but there’s no dispute that noise can cause hyperacusis and hyperacusis can cause other problems.

4 Likes

Yes, except in Cuba it often happened when people were trying to sleep, and there weren’t supposed to be any microphones around.

3 Likes
7 Likes

popular science.

unpopular science.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-019-0308-7

9 Likes

tyrannosaurs in f-14s

9 Likes

OH GOOD

9 Likes

:roll_eyes: Last time I asked about this, I was refused revaccination because they said it wasn’t as necessary as previously thought.

I know science discovers new things as we go along, but it gets frustrating as a patient.

7 Likes