Possibly untrue science news

2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

What about farmed or wild game animals, I wonder?

… like Bambi?

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Yep, and Thumper!

By “farmed”, I meant animals that can be hunted but are also raised by humans for food.

I don’t know if they still do it, but there was a restaurant upstate off of I75 that let you pick out your own turkey out of a pen.

Or the story in one of the Amy Tan’s books about the little girl who, after being asked by her grandmother which chicken was her favorite, found out it was later cooked for dinner.

There was a scene like that in Star Trek: Discovery

4 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

Too bad the headline doesn’t mention that Toxoplasma gondii is the actual culprit. But I suppose that would be less of a click-bait.

3 Likes

When my brother was in-utero, the purebred Siamese kitten we had, Bonnie, would sit on where he was in our mom (it was she who told me the story). When Mom came home from the hospital a few months later, with no nice cushion and a noisy li’l hairless ape, Bonnie was a bit nonplussed at having lost her place to nestle.

Oh, but that’s not the same as the article says, is it? Thanx for the spoiler, btw!

I’m guessing my dad cleaned the kitty litter while she was pregnant.

1 Like

I imagine that if you keep the cat indoors, it’s less likely to get the parasite to begin with. We’ve managed to do that with all our cats so that they never even try – except the first one, Kugel, who was let outdoors as a kitten by her previous owners (along with the mother cat and other kittens). She often tried to get out, but we were firm with her.*

*Of course in most other ways she was pretty firm with us.

2 Likes

Is that one of those things Theranos could have tested us for except it was a great big fraud?

2 Likes

This word always reminds me of a “theremin,” which is appropriate since they’re both full of woo.

2 Likes

At least a theremin has a useful purpose.

3 Likes
4 Likes

This is for you, @MarjaE.
Best ever Thylacine's hunting audio 2019, NE Tasmania. Copyright TAGOA TAS INC, all rights reserved. - YouTube

1 Like