Put-Our-Rich-Criminals-in-Check Global Emporium

Pretty much, yeah. Partly because so many enthusiasts are totally clueless about what it actually is, and think it’s the solution to everything. “Ouch! I cut my finger!” “You should use blockchain to fix that!”

It is an interesting concept, but it strikes me as the precursor to a really good and actually useful one.

8 Likes

The company I work for has jumped into this. I’m surprised we haven’t done our own version of Bitcoin as well.

edit: good article and addresses issues with blockchain I hadn’t thought about.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Kai Stinchcombe coined the terms “crypto-medieval” “futuristic integrity wand” and “smart mango.” Please use freely: coining terms makes you a futurist.

Best Medium bio ever.

9 Likes

Exactly!!

Ours is red cause red = SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!

6 Likes

Paul, for fuck sake, fucking finally.

10 Likes

He’s no longer angling for a job in the (ahem) Clinton administration, so the attacks on the Berniecrats can stop.

4 Likes

[Shakes head at the notion that single payer is a radical policy]

7 Likes

My view of the whole “Shun the Progressive Left” by the DNC is their knee-jerk reaction to watching the GOP after they embraced the Tea Party.

Sure, if the welcome the “radical left” into their fold, they might bring in some voters, but the whole raison d’être for the DNC could be put in peril with those … others

1 Like

The non -radical left is okay I guess, if you think everything is okay and your position is more or less the same no matter who’s in charge and you don’t really have any emotional connection to those getting fucked over all around you.

Otherwise we will need to be radical just to hold steady. The right wing in this country is reactionary, and has been steadily eroding the safeguards that protect us from tyranny for at least as long as I’ve been alive. So, it would require some amount of radicalism to get us back to Reagan era Republicanism, let alone the type of social democracy that literally every other developed country has.

On the subject of social democracy : it’s considered bat shit crazy leftist here in the US, but centrist in Canada. Maybe we’re the crazy ones.

7 Likes

Of course not. CNN went around asking leaders of various countries whether the U.S. had gone crazy, and the response was, pretty much unanimously, “No, not at all! Please don’t kill us.

6 Likes

Krugman’s never been on the list for any administration.

1 Like

I’m with Thomas Frank on this – the Democratic Party intentionally turned away from the working class and poor, with Bill Clinton as one of the leaders of that charge, to court campaign donors. It was an intentional rightward shift of the Overton Window.

And that opened the doors to Trumpist populism IMHO, as well as de-inspiring voter participation and trust.

6 Likes

It opened the doors to populism in the way that the new slavers wanted.

3 Likes

Thread. Just a reminder, though I think most here are quite convinced.

11 Likes

We have never needed pterry more than we do right now.

I know the popular expression is “Fuck cancer,” but fuck Alzheimer’s, too.

8 Likes

great

3 Likes

Not left. Not really even center except when pandering.

3 Likes

For the US where the “I don’t want to pay for lazy people!!” attitude is king, single payer health IS a radical policy.

I want it and it’s about fucking time we had it.

11 Likes

One thing I didn’t know until I read some USians looking at moving to Canada talking about it on Twitter: it drives overall costs down.

So it works out to be cheaper just to have everyone on it. Certainly all those assessments for pre-existing conditions go away, so there’s one level of bureaucracy right there.

13 Likes