Put-Our-Rich-Criminals-in-Check Global Emporium

In college days of years gone past, I worked at a fast food restaurant. I still refer to that place as a den of inequity.

Nearly everyone was sleeping with everyone else in that wonderful cross section of young adult managers, college kids making a few bucks and high school kids working their first job.

< Shudder >

8 Likes

Miller in the image is an added bonus.

2 Likes
9 Likes
12 Likes

The title of the article is irrelevant.

Immelt:

No Jeff. “Winning” to attract talent implies finding someone with talent willing to sell you the fruits of that talent, then lording it over other CEOs, complete with a pimp dance. You can’t “win” that talent in the sense of making it part of your organization for the forseeable future because when it comes to the technical details of highly specialized not-fault-tolerant-melt-and-explode technology like jet engines, winning is irrelevant.

Owning technology doesn’t mean you possess it. The talent you “win” are the people who actually possess the technology. When you give those people shit tools for building, selling, and maintaining technology, you expose how useful “ownership” isn’t.

7 Likes

On a lighter note, but no less of an awesome note…

8 Likes

Ouch. Well done.

6 Likes

persuade them to work together for the betterment of his own neighborhood by not poaching key staff and keeping wages low.

Am I reading that wrong or is that celebrating the fact that he kept wages low? Avoiding gentrification pushing people out is good, but artificially keeping wages low to do so seems to set a bad precedent. Maybe I’m misreading.

5 Likes

I read it as:

persuade them to work together for the betterment of his own neighborhood by not (poaching key staff and keeping wages low)

Fun with English.

3 Likes

The whole thing is what is technically known as a giant piss take.

8 Likes

The punchlines in that article slither out just as the writer gives the reader a new sip of Kool-aid.

5 Likes

This sounds horrible:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-ceo-going-groceries-next-180120919.html

Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said given the success in the delivery of food, the next logical step is to enter the grocery space.

Peasants tend to care about food security, you git. Are you trying to be first up against the wall when the revolution comes?

6 Likes

As it happens, I did a course assignment related to this a few months ago. I had to survey people about a grocery service (order ahead and pick up in this case), in order to ID user experience pain points and figure out how to mitigate them.

Biggest takeaway: people, even people working on leading-edge tech, do not trust some rando who works at a grocery store to pick out their fresh produce for them. They would much rather wander the aisles themselves.

That went for people who were happy to buy other things on-line and have them delivered.

I tried out the service myself since I was doing some meal prepping anyhow, and found myself doing the same thing. Anything in a can, jar, or box I put in the order. All the fresh fruit, veg, and meat I bought myself at my local indie greengrocers.

So Uber might get some custom from people who subsist exclusively on frozen and processed food. The rest not so much.

The dietary implications of this are… worrying.

9 Likes

The other possibility is that more and more people won’t know enough about cooking with fresh produce to care about picking out the best.

9 Likes

Ooh. Of course you’re right.

I just remembered a story a chef friend of mine told, about being at the supermarket and seeing someone just stuffing apples into a bag without so much as glancing at them.

9 Likes

“Low” is relative. Paying (some) people bazillions of dollars is just as bad for equality as paying them nothing.

But in any case competition for housing is a zero-sum game. A growing population needs more housing every year. If people point fingers, pass the buck, and DON’T BUILD IT (or let it sit empty) then people will be pushed out, period, no matter what number is on the paper.

4 Likes

There are a lot of bad places to build it. See the Houston flooding issues, or to an extent the California burning issues where there aren’t enough fire breaks.

There’s also the rent-seeking lobbies which benefit from lack of housing, and from punishing people who don’t have housing.

And even small solutions to these problems, such as switching from property taxes, food taxes, and/or fines and forfeitures revenue, to land-value taxes, would require big revolutions first.

5 Likes

I’m a bit of an oddball there. We’ve used a few of the services that deliver a recipe and the bag of ingredients to make it, and also one or two of the regular grocery store delivery services. Sure they mess stuff up sometimes, or you get something that’s not as good quality as you’d like. But it seems about on par with ordering pizza or chinese for delivery. May not be exactly what you were picturing or intending to eat, but it’s usually good enough. Not to mention every time you eat at a restaurant you’re letting some rando pick your produce (and other ingredients) for you (and paying a lot more for it). So I’m fine with it.

However, when it comes to cooking, my style is just to throw together whatever’s available. I aim for a good mix of starch/grain, protein, colorful vegetables/fruits, and spices, but I don’t use a recipe or really care exactly which ingredients I use. Some people are the opposite about things like that. (The difference between “I need exactly 1.3 pounds of 90% lean ground beef and we need half a cup of shredded spring spinach” vs “probably needs some kinda meat, eggs, or tofu and it needs something green”).

3 Likes

My friends who live in the city find they are ok with the issues once the snow falls and/or they live on a high floor in a walkup.

4 Likes

Mr. Kidd foist this food box delivery thing upon me and Junior Kidd while he was working out of town, and it was simultaneously the same time we were renovating the kitchen. The renovation was a total tear down. I had a 2-burner induction cook top, a microwave and a toaster oven to cook with, and all that shit sat on one of two not-large tables available for prep…

The directions were needlessly drawn out, every step took far longer than it should have (too many steps were overly specific), and the recipes really were no better than whatever I might’ve tossed together with the same ingredients. Which, to bring this back around, the veg was always just under par. I do not recommend if you know how to cook.

10 Likes