Put-Our-Rich-Criminals-in-Check Global Emporium

Black holes of everything that is good in this world.

3 Likes
4 Likes

…said in its final report that there is a “mafia coalition” among members of government, the business community and private individuals that is “willing to sacrifice Guatemala’s present and future to guarantee impunity and preserve the status quo”.

4 Likes
6 Likes

See, this was the problem with the Barstool Sports unionization gag. No matter how high they stepped it up to make the joke look like a joke, it was surpassed by what’s going on in real life.

4 Likes

Oh look who will stay loaded after fucking up so many people’s lives.

8 Likes

I wish the Sacklers were the kind of drug dealers brought down by getting hooked on their own product.

4 Likes

Fuck this. All so we can get our toys noooowww.

And when one group in Michigan voted to join the teamsters in protest against shoddy conditions and punishing hours without overtime pay, Amazon officials acted swiftly to counter further unionization efforts.

Around the same time, Amazon terminated its contract with Bythewood, who had to lay off about 300 employees. Soon thereafter it filed a claim against VHU in court, arguing that the firm had violated its contract, which required it to “defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Amazon from any third-party allegation or claim.”

Amazon: They don’t work for us, they work for third parties. Unless it’s about unionization, at which point, shut that shit down.

7 Likes

The solution to this conundrum is to realize that the rich offer nothing themselves. In terms of productivity and profits, they could simply be a holding company with a cocaine budget and a slush fund for favors, just like most large multinationals that don’t suffer any oversight.

When you realize that the rich individuals are worth no more than rich organizations, individualism is redeemed and can retake its place alongside the other useful innovations of humanity’s acceleration. We can individually choose to not believe in the horrifying fantasies of the rich “preppers” who couldn’t keep civilization or any species alive, much less keep themselves alive in nuclear-powered super-bunkers.

9 Likes
3 Likes

The answers to these questions are self-evident. And yet, while it’s easy to attack the rotten apples such as Ito or Negroponte, a more radical transformative agenda should ask for more: close the Media Lab, disband the Ted Talks, refuse the money of tech billionaires, boycott agents like Brockman. Without such drastic changes, the powerful bullshit-industrial complex that is the “third culture” will continue unharmed, giving cover to the next Epstein.

5 Likes

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/strike-with-the-band-wagner

Despite its reputation as being a pastime of the rich and cultured elite, classical musicianship is better understood as a job, a shitty job, and the people who do that job are workers just as exploited as any Teamster. Classical music has a high rate of workplace injury, especially chronic pain and hearing loss. Many musicians don’t own their instruments, some of which can be as expensive as a new car. My high school orchestra teacher, who played in a regional symphony, was still paying off a viola that cost $20,000. Even the elite among players don’t own their instruments outright; many of these instruments, including Amati and Stradivari violins, are loaned by philanthropists as gifts. I had to rent violins from the same company for sixteen years before I had accrued enough credit to buy one outright at $7,000, right before I graduated from college. One percussionist I interviewed, who works as a middle school band teacher, told me: “As a percussionist, another point of privilege comes with equipment. To own everything we could ever need professionally is very costly, especially a marimba, vibraphone, and full set of timpani. So that’s another huge point of privilege when, for example, one of my middle school students . . . his parents bought him a marimba earlier in the year. Which is great for him, yet here I am with my master’s degree, and I definitely don’t own one yet. I probably won’t for a long time.”

11 Likes

Don’t shop Kroger or Fred Meyer

10 Likes

I quit shopping at Kroger the minute the Meijer opened nearer to my home. And Meijer as a workplace seems to depend on what store one’s talking about.

7 Likes

Keeping more money in state by shopping at Meijer in the process!

6 Likes

so meijer and meyer are two different things? That must make things confusing.

2 Likes

One is FRED MEYER…the other, is just Meijer. No confusion at all.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Thread:

6 Likes

This is why I don’t want to work for any Amazon-owned or -run biz:

7 Likes