Reading: Virgin Envy

I saw that.

3 Likes

Excellent, thanks.

I just had a headslap moment. You may remember my post wherein I shared The Long Divorce’s mention of “Dr Thorndyke”? I’ve read The Moving Toyshop and Holy Disorders by Edmund Crispin as well, both mysteries have a character Chief Constable Richard Freeman, as in Richard Austin Freeman. I’d not have caught onto this if you hadn’t mentioned Freeman!

No screen adaptations, but someone generously uploaded to Archive.org a few weeks ago sound files of BBC Four Extra’s radio reading of Edmund Crispin’s Frequent Hearses.

1 Like

I was trying for the latter, as in I envy the discovery.

I grew up on Conan Doyle, Christie, and even Rex Stout, and Freeman blew me away. I got every story I could lay my hands on, which is why I am so touchy about the Thames adaptations. I can understand how if people had only those for reference, they would shy away from the books. But the actual stories are amazing.

3 Likes

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut. There’s a few of his works I haven’t read…yet…
grins

7 Likes

My father grew up on a farm in rural Manitoba. He got his primary education in a one-room school, never went beyond Grade 11, and rode the rails across western Canada during the Depression looking for work as a labourer. He was remarkably well-read and well-spoken.

It certainly helped that his parents, immigrants from big-city England, were reasonably well educated, but I think people who value education find a way of getting it.

6 Likes

This guy, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Pollard

A great book, and the movie adaptation was decent.

2 Likes

I have to admit that Highsmith leaves me as cold as Dan Brown, and that’s very cold indeed. But then I don’t like thrillers or puzzle books, so YMMV.

2 Likes

Player Piano is remarkably prophetic. So is Pohl & Kornbluth’s The Space Merchants. Read either of them and you realise that what was an horrific dystopia after WW2 is now just business as usual.

2 Likes

I have relatives who never got to finish elementary school because of the war, but were voracious readers. They also watched a lot of documentary/educational TV. Even when they watched sitcoms/dramas, they preferred shows where the performers needed some skill to get the job done. Variety shows were favourites because of this.

I remember we watched a charity special where Hal Linden played clarinet, and an older relative remarking it was a pity his Barney Miller character couldn’t have been an amateur musician.

If you have a natural curiosity, like to read, and have access to a decent public library/educational television, you can self-educate without access to formal classes.

I’m not sure how often this happens in the internet age, though, with the Facebook vortex sucking up so much time.

4 Likes

Could I ask which war and in which country (genuine question)?

1 Like

Heresy!

If you don’t, that could explain why you think Highsmith and Dan Brown are similar. Some people don’t deal well with a certain style of book or music or whatever. If you don’t like thrillers that much, it wouldn’t matter if you’re reading a good thriller or a bad one.

I had a book of puzzles by Henry Ernest Dudeney. Brilliant book of old-school math and critical thinking puzzles. I can’t find it for the life of me. I hope it didn’t end up with my parents, because they pitched it if it did.

I’m sure that’s not what you meant though. You probably meant mystery novels that the reader is supposed to solve. I don’t like those, because the hints are usually too obvious.

1 Like

WWII, the Netherlands and what is now Croatia. On the Croatian side especially it seems school was at best dodgy during the occupation.

By the time the war ended, they were old enough to work, and when they emigrated they had to work to help keep the family afloat in the new country. Some of them went to night school and eventually got a high school diploma; others were given incorrect information about credit equivalents (ie: credits awarded for life experience and education completed outside of Canada) and told they had to work up from halfway through elementary school, so they gave up.

3 Likes

Like Encyclopedia Brown or The Three Investigators? I read a ton of those as a kid, but that’s exactly why they bugged me – either the hints were way too obvious or so impossible that they could only be solved by looking at the answers.

4 Likes

No, I wasn’t clear. Highsmith writes thrillers, which I personally don’t care for. Dan Brown writes what are supposed to be thrillers cum puzzle books. Quite honestly, anyone who can write that sort of stuff after Umberto Eco kicked it into touch/hit it out of the stadium with Foucault’s Pendulum I do not know.

1 Like

Sounds like lateral thinking puzzles. The answers are usually so ridiculously specific and improbable that actual lateral thinking is useless to solve the problems.

1 Like

I couldn’t stand that book

1 Like

Thank you for that, and indulging my curiosity.

3 Likes

The English translation isn’t the best (and there are annoying errors in the English translation of the one about monks). But what particularly could you not stand? Just curious. Eco’s taking apart of conspiracy theorists, vanity publishers and the like seems to be to be quite entertaining as well as instructive (maybe because I really do belong to the Bavarian Illuminati :grin:). But I am by nature an ikonoklast and I also enjoy Pratchett’s putting the boot massively into Tolkien - more subtle than the Russian guy who did it before him and showing how Tolkien’s world collapses the moment we start asking awkward questions about ethics and the life of ordinary people.

3 Likes

The way it was written. I picked it up in college, but the book quickly hammered home that I wasn’t smart enough or worldly enough to enjoy it. I liked the premise, which is why I wanted to read it in the first place.

I still have it somewhere, so I could try it again. My judgment is pretty good about these things, so maybe I was right the first time.

1 Like

Exactly. Inevitably, every Encyclopedia Brown book would have puzzles along the lines of:

Encyclopedia Brown puzzled on the problem his dad presented him. He asked, “Dad, were there really big footprints at the scene?” When his surprised father nodded, he said “Then it was Bugs Meany.” HOW DID HE SOLVE IT?
Answer: If you’ll recall, in a completely separate book published ten years ago, Bugs Meany mentioned that he wore size 13 shoes.

That’s not a “puzzle”, it’s asking me to be Encyclopedia Brown and know things he knows.

5 Likes