Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Turn 11 - Cheerfulness Taught By Reason

In a dive bar in one of the rougher parts of Weatherby, a young sentient slams a copy of the Times down on a table.

Fuck.” Coming after him would be one thing. But this… This crosses a line. “That is my family. You do not fuck with my family.” As if that wasn’t bad enough… No other members of Leviathan’s are popping up in the news as destitute, so they’re fitting him up him for fucking murder.

“You want to call me a terrorist, I c’n show yah fuckin’ terror.” A pair of heavy, scarred hands grip tightly around his glass. He’s got a pretty good idea who’s behind this attack. He hopes they sleep well, tonight, because it’ll be the last they’ll get. Tomorrow, they’re going to start looking over their shoulder. “Y’do not fuck wi’ my family, b’y.” Liv releases the glass as he hears it beginning to crack. “Y’just made the biggest fuckin’ mistake of your life.”

10 Likes

Oh little LSP, you’re like the best thing we ever made, and growing so fast too! Isn’t that right Tom (@Tom_Ratchetcrank)?

Baby_lsp

I’ve been feeling it in my lumps, but the world is a dangerous place and Mommy and Daddy may be called to war to globbing protect you! Don’t fret, it like might not happen, and like we are totally paying good wages for this, totes wizenly and wise nanny. She’ll like teach you another language for sure.

[ Duchess Gummibus leans in to whisper ]

But you know, LSP, I’ll let you in on a secret. Some of the best beans are in the green military rations. I always trade for them.

12 Likes

Yes Duchess, when I gaze upon little LSP my heart aches with awe. I thought our life together to be so perfect, yet here you have made it even more perfecter.

And look! I’ve gotten LSP their first rattle.

download%20(1)

I have to ask, though, are you totally sure about the nanny?

Tree_Witch2

12 Likes

are you totally sure about the nanny?

Now dear, a few curses never hurt anyone! She’s totally knowledgable cuz she’s old and junk, and she just knows things she shouldn’t. I mean like really shouldn’t. Just imagine how lively our salon will be, with our atmospheric nanny in the library. What a slight sense of danger and exhilaration for our guests. And doesn’t she make LSP sparkle even more?

She said she really wanted hair as payment though. I truly insisted on beans or pounds for payment, but glob, what can you do?

Oh, hah don’t look at me like that. I didn’t give her your hair Tom! There’s a perfectly good wig shop down the street.

11 Likes

Forgive, dear, never shall I doubt you. Of course she will be a wonderful curiosity in your salon.

And who knows, perhaps she will teach LSP a few hexes to totally show those runts on the playground what’s up.

by the way, which does the ‘P’ stand for?

11 Likes

“There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.”

– Jane Clawsten, Pincers and Pinchability

Turn Deadline: Sun, May 20 @ 8am EDT

Genetic bundles of joy have brightened many a household and made many a proud parent. In time, you hope that both your child and your Legacy will live on after you are gone to carry the family name across the centuries. With parenting come new challenges, at least as daunting as the ones faced in building a Legacy.

New Prussia has always been an aggressive military power. Although a full declaration of war would be unlikely, the two Empires certainly squabble over far flung colonies on a regular basis. The press on Britannia Prime may not report a conflict as ‘war’, but that would mean little to the citizens of Weatherby. Even if nothing comes of it, the threat must be taken seriously.

Turn-specific events

Meanwhile, one might expect the following:

Turn 11 plague progress: Almost certain chance for any existing condition to improve, Lousy chance for it to worsen instead.
Turn 11 blight progress: Average chance for any existing whipweed holding to recover.
Turn 11 special risk: Good chance of interference from the mysterious adversary, should you have one.
Turn 11 special risk for Space Hussars: Due to the potential New Prussian threat, those that have purchased commissions in the Space Hussars will be called up with their units to the frontier for a one month period (@ghoti, @penguinchris, @Nightflyer). You will still have time to pursue your Legacy, but there is a Poor chance of receiving a Bad wound while on manoeuvres.

Raising a family

Optional: Some families opt for a single child, but many feel that siblings play an important part in the development of children. Some might point out that this really represents an additional ticket in the True Citizen lottery, but those individuals are considered crass and boorish.

If you choose, additional children may be requested in the same manner:

Child Reginald Hollyhock, Space Human

The child has an equal chance of being designated as a True Citizen or a Citizen Pretender at birth.

Final Challenges

You will continue to make progress on your Final Challenge and that progress will once again absorb all remaining income. Funding of final challenges at less than 50% of current income will result in a more difficult challenge this season.

For Weatherby!

Given the tense news from the frontier, many civic-minded Weatherbeans have decided to do assist directly in preparing for the worst. Options are available for both hawks and doves.

Prepare 1 [offense | defense]: Contribute your PER-based skills toward putting Weatherby in a better situation by raising awareness, demanding effort in particular areas, and general calls to action.

Prepare 2 [offense | defense ]: Use your FSH-based skills to raise public awareness, lead by example, and in general use the power of celebrity to encourage others to contribute to the overall effort.

Prepare 3 [offense | defense]: Use your BUS-based skills to improve stockpiles, manufacture additional supplies, increase production capacity, and the like.

Prepare 4 [offense | defense]: Use your MIL-based skills to drill partisans, neighborhood leaders, and willing volunteers in relevant skills and techniques.

Prepare 5 [offense | defense]: Use your EDU-based skills to instruct citizens regarding first response, disaster preparedness,

Prepare 6 [offense | defense]: Use your RANK to lobby the administration to fund and prioritize more important endeavors over less critical ones without spending time in unproductive debate.

Aldersentients, Ambassadors, and others of formal office receive a 25% bonus for their contribution due to their office.

The total number of skill points allocated to each bucket will determine the change in Weatherby’s overall preparedness going into the next season.

Example block for turn 11 orders:

Child Reginald Hollyhock, Space Human
Prepare 3 offense

As always, additional options may be selected as well

Military Service

Expand for details regarding purchasing military commissions

With the potential threat of a resurgent New Prussia, the Queen herself has authorized the purchase of an official commission in the local forces. Purchasing a commission is a one-time payment that allows one to immediately assume the appropriate rank. Each subsequent rank is incremental instead of cumulative, that is to say: moving from the rank of Ensign to the rank of Lieutenant in the Space Hussars will cost an additional 250£ and yield an additional bonus of MIL+3 an Rank+15. This option will remain available for at least the next 12 months (i.e. at least through Turn 9). For example:

Commission Ensign Space Dragoons
Commission Space Hussars MIL bonus RANK bonus Space Dragoons MIL bonus RANK bonus
Ensign 450£ 4 20 840£ 8 80
Lieutenant 700£ 7 35 1190£ 12 120
Captain 1800£ 18 90 3225£ 32 320
Major 3200£ 32 160 4575£ 44 440
Lt. Colonel 4500£ 45 225 6175£ 60 600

Place Wagers

Optional: One may choose to wager on this season’s Lagoderm race. Merely select a promising creature from the Sports & Leisure section and also indicate the size of the wager. Example:

Wager Hamdinger 100

Rent:

Expand for details regarding renting of apartments

Optional: One may procure personal quarters within the city at the current market rate. Any change of quarters comes with an additional 25£ fee for moving services. Each improvement represents a move to a better neighborhood with a more impressive address. Example:

Rent Spartan apartment

The following neighborhoods are available for rent.

Nature of Quarters          Upkeep                Effect     Neighborhood       
--------------------        --------------       ---------- --------------
Spartan apartment            75£ per turn         +50 rank  Ten Path
Modest apartment            200£ per turn         +75 rank  Paddingdown
Proper apartment            400£ per turn        +150 rank  St. Marrowbone
Fashionable apartment       700£ per turn        +300 rank  Dragoon Mews
Luxurious apartment        1200£ per turn        +500 rank  Whipweed Place

Although the plague continues to abate, several useful medicines are still available for purchase by popular demand:

5£ Dr. Arbuckle's Whipweed Tonic Wine
10£ Ms. Merrimoose's Soothing Syrup
15£ Franklin Gooseberry's Remarkable Colloidal Seryl
5 Likes

Leviathan’s has always been the Vanguard of Weatherby; whether creating economic opportunities, co-ordinating Plague relief, providing essential journalism, or Upholding Standards, all Weatherby knows to look to us.

As the the uncertainty of war looms, we will stand firm and united in furthering Weatherby’s best interest.

I am confident we will each use our talents to the utmost. The question is which way:
DEFENSE or OFFENSE.

We should discuss which is the better course for Weatherby, and than purse that in unison.

To help coordinate, here are the three highest-ranking members for each quality.

PERsonality
@nimelennar
@David_Falkayn
@fintastic

FaSHion
@gwwar
@ghoti
@daneel

RANK
@penguinchris
@Donald_Petersen
@David_Falkayn

2 Likes

BUSiness
@Hadley
@penguinchris
@ghoti
@Wisconsin_Platt

MILitary
@fintastic
@MalevolentPixy
@Pogo

EDUcation
@Old
@MalevolentPixy
@MrMonkey

2 Likes

I argue strongly for DEFENSE

Not only is an attack risky, but as we don’t know New Prussia’s true intent, we may provoke an unnecessary war with a hasty assault.

By coordinating an active DEFENSE, we can meet the New Prussian threat if it should appear with out compromising efforts to build peace and comity.

• DEFENSE
  • PRETENSE
  • OFFENSE

0 voters

1 Like

Meanwhile, back at St. Marrowbone…

The clock had struck midnight ere an hour ago, yet Hieronymoose continued to pour over the papers in front of him.

Now seated at the dining table, his mess had long since out grown the roll-top desk that had been moved to the front room to make room for the nanny.

He stroked his chin. The world of Weatherby had been turned upside down. The spaceport explosion had taken his prototype freight hauler. A set back, to be sure, but he would overcome it.

That odd-duck from Levithan was on the lamb. The papers hanging the Sea Pea murders on him. Hieron frowned at the thought. If it was the same thing that he’d encountered in the alleyway, then Liv wasn’t the right bloke. Even being on the svelte size for a Space Moose, Hieron stood rack and shoulders above most men.

Little he could do though for him at this juncture, though. Hieron sighed and made some notes on a pad.

Shuffling that pad to one side, he looked at his ledger. Not only did he lose the prototype, but it had decimated the import export business. Money had gotten quite a bit tighter and some tough choices needed to be made.

The room brightened almost imperceptibly, but enough that Hieron lifted his tired eyes to see Lizzy had materialized at the other end of the table.

“I’m sorry, love. I know I said I’d be to be to bed an hour ago…” Hieron whispered.

“No, dearest, you’re fine. I know a burden weighs on your shoulders” Lizzy replied.

“Lizzy. I’m afraid we will need to cut some expenses until this ‘skirmish’, this ‘police action’, this damn ‘sabre rattling’ is concluded.”

“I know. I was thinking how nice it would be for you if we reclaimed your office from Miss Price.”

Hieron sighed. He had wondered how Liz would take losing the nanny, and he hadn’t even thought about returning her room back to his study.

“If I have to be completely honest,” Lizzy continued, “I wondered about hiring someone from Bebknobs and Boomsticks. Sure a nanny-slash-bodyguard was a great idea in theory, but…”

Hieron smiled and Liz shimmered seeing that.

“Did I mention, that after we got back her references, I found out she is a published author? Under the nom-de-plume of ‘Fletcher’?”

Hieron raised a quizical eyebrow.

“Exactly. Out of the Cabot Cove Prime. So, I went and read some of Ms. Fletcher’s books - trashy murder mystery pulps. Don’t waste your time.”

“Thank you, I’ll make sure they don’t come up at book club.”

“But then as I was reading the reviews, I stumbled into this whole theory that the books were more than they seemed. It seems if one was to trace Where ‘Ms. Fletcher’ had traveled, that a surprising number of bodies piled up.”

“Is that so…”

“All just rumor and inuendo. And ‘Ms. Fletcher’ always had a convenient alibi, but tougues do wag.”

“So you’re okay with raising little Quatro without help?”

"Of course, the little calf needs it’s mama more that some two-bit Marianne Poppins wanna-be.

“And all the other spouses are around. It’s not like we’re all alone.” Lizzy put on a brave face, “And with the lottery results… Well, Weatherby has an excellent public school system and magnificent Trade school.”

“We’ll talk more in the morning, dearest. Let’s get to bed.”

12 Likes

Ahem

[Casually polishes medals weighing down his sash]

7 Likes

I must agree. We have been put on the back foot by the attack on our spaceport; we will need the port fully functional before we can even consider retaliation. A canny move, on their part.

Once we have rebuilt our ability to launch and land spacecraft, then we can put to the test the adage that the best defense is a good offense. Until then, we will need to instead depend on our best defense being a prepared fortification.

7 Likes

Oh mr. karekin,

My luck seems to have run out again. First the travesty at the ball and now I am not a leading citizen in any area. starts weeping
and I’m almost all out of money because my whip weed farm is a complete failure. What am I to do?
Isn’t there anything which the rest of us True Citizens can do to help the common good?

Your true friend,
Lady Elizabeth

5 Likes

correction amended. thanks.

2 Likes

Your mysterious adversary has placed a hex on you!

Pffffft. Amateur! You call that a hex? I’ll hex you so thoroughly your own mother won’t recognize you…

IMG_3753

8 Likes

Dear Lady Elizabeth.

You ARE a leading citizen of Weatherby in BUS. Your name was omitted from the table only due to a quirk of the statistics. Your cousin has the highest BUS at 57. No surprise there. However the next three Leviathan’s members have BUS of 46, 47, 49 – an inconsequential difference given that all other members have BUS of 40 or less.

You run a successful Printing Business; Weatherby needs your BUS skills. May I entreat you to consider

Prepare 3 DEFENSE

At Your Service,

Mr. Jules Karekin

6 Likes

St-Patrick-Hartbrooke takes up his quill and dips it into his inkwell.

To Whom It May Concern,

There is an error in the latest issue of the Weatherby Space Times. The murtherer is referred to as both a Citizen-Pretender and a member in good standing at the Leviathan Club, which, as all cultured True Citizens know, are mutually exclusive terms.

You may wish to issue a correction, retraction, or clarification, as necessary.

Your servant,

[Overzealously embiggened signature]

Aaaakzeee St-Patrick-Hartbrooke III

10 Likes

The Ambassador curls a sardonic lip as she turns the page. “Well, thank Herpeton we have the Gryphon around to enforce the social stratification around here. In times of woe and uncertainty, we can take comfort in the reliably hidebound bigotry of ol’ Beakpuss.”

11 Likes

Dear Reputable Mister J. Rothschild Karekin,

Do you care to attempt this calculation for a third time, or perhaps it’s occasion leave the business of tallies and analysis to @Eighth?

Yours sincerely,
Cmdr. Piker

PS- With your talent for creative accounting, perchance you might consider pursuing novel endeavors in interstellar finance. Self-interested calculation, indeed!

6 Likes

You are quite right, commander. Thank you for catching my error.

A fine example of why all accounts of consequence should be audited!

1 Like