RIP. We'll miss you

9 Likes
14 Likes

Weird…I was just thinking about him today when I mistook Tracy Letts for him from a distance.

2 Likes
10 Likes

Came here to post that too!

3 Likes

Yeah. I was in utero when Bannister ran his mile, but it was still a very, very big thing when I was a kid.

6 Likes

Shit.

I know Iffley Road track well although I am in no physical state to run round it, never mind do it in under four minutes.

From wikipedia

On the 50th anniversary of running the sub-4-minute mile, Bannister was interviewed by the BBC’s sports correspondent Rob Bonnet. At the conclusion of the interview, Bannister was asked whether he looked back on the sub-4-minute mile as the most important achievement of his life. Bannister replied to the effect that no, he rather saw his subsequent forty years of practising as a neurologist and some of the new procedures he introduced as being more significant. His major contribution in academic medicine was in the field of autonomic failure, an area of neurology focusing on illnesses characterised by certain automatic responses of the nervous system (for example, elevated heart rate when standing up) not occurring.

10 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes

Well thats a pity. Guess hes in the big shed in the sky.

5 Likes

you know, somehow i had totally missed that David Ogden Stiers actually CAME OUT in recent years. my gaydar completely did not pick up on him, and i have rather refined gaydar. i hope he found the love and companionship he was looking for. the other tidbit i learned about him from reading obits was that he was the voiceover talent for THX-1138. mind blown

9 Likes

4 Likes

“Fare thee well now, let your life proceed by it’s own design.
Nothing to tell now, let the words be yours, I’m done with mine.”

2 Likes

Legendary performer/comedian Ken Dodd has died. I saw him once and I can confirm that his shows really were about 5 hours long!

6 Likes

An original crazy-man.

2 Likes
19 Likes

An important voice lost.

Ironic the article presents the old claim no-one read A Brief History of Time to the end, and then quotes the last few sentences a few paragraphs down.

13 Likes

Overstating it a bit, probably. I think the real trial would be Penrose’s The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe - North of a thousand pages covering most of the field of physics, and he sort of expects you to learn the maths as you follow the book.

3 Likes

The amazing thing about Hawking was how long he lived even with the condition he had. still, if there is an afterlife, I’m pretty sure him, Albert and Issac are currently comparing notes on reality.

8 Likes

His memory sits in good company, at any rate. I for one finished A Brief History of Time, and it had informed my understanding of how the universe works a great deal.

11 Likes