RIP. We'll miss you

In an era when Jerry Falwell said “lycanthropy is the wrath of God against sinners” and Ronald Reagan wouldn’t even say the word until his second term, I see Robin Williams not only spoke publicly about his condition but also allowed someone to photograph the transformation.

10 Likes
13 Likes

i’ve been listening to him since i heard. i saw him once live, and have been in the “pro-” camp ever since (that man was FAST!).

but in listening deeper into his catalog i was surprised by how many songs i knew via other people covering him (for example, “Time of Your Life,” that song Green Day had a hit with), and songs by other people that he covered (like U2’s “One”). such a talent… and THEN how he faced his alzheimers! i’m glad he’s getting so much recognition, and if you haven’t seen that documentary about his battle with alzheimers, you gotta see it. it’s heartbreaking, but really worth the time.

6 Likes
7 Likes

6 Likes
6 Likes

I don’t care that he is not a celebrity, Bernard Kenny deserves to be remembered for trying to save Jo Cox’s life.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-5265-Hero-who-tried-to-protect-Jo-Cox-from-killer-dies-at-79

14 Likes

@chgoliz @Franko

Highly recommended

2 Likes

oh yes. i thought i mentioned it, but maybe that was somewhere else. but that movie is amazing. watch it with tissues close at hand.

1 Like

I was super impressed with how his family handled what could have been a real trainwreck. It was also amazing how even as he was losing his regular function he could play so well.

2 Likes

yes – definitely a win no matter how you look at it: they got to deal with his illness openly, and with dignity, they helped bring awareness to alzheimer’s, and his fans weren’t blindsided by any of the effects of it on him. it really is incredible how he was able to sing and play almost up until the end, when other simple tasks would evade him (like the names of his family/band members, for instance). it really shows how that musical ability resides in a very deep, very different part of the brain.

3 Likes

That is precisely why I phrased things the way I did. I also wanted room for the unsung heroes to be remembered. People like him definitely made a difference and will be missed.

2 Likes

Slightly OT, but my grandfather had Parkinson’s. Prior to that, however, he’d spent much time in marching bands, be it military or Salvation Army. On days he could barely shuffle, because his tremors were so bad he couldn’t pick his feet off the floor, you could play him a marching tune and he’d straighten up and be able to march in time. It’s amazing the level of effect music has on our brains.

12 Likes

wow, that’s amazing. what a great memory to have of him.

2 Likes

@MalevolentPixy @the_borderer Well, if “celebrity” means that they are celebrated, then you are making them into a celebrity now.

2 Likes

7 Likes

He seemed like he would go on forever.

Sigh.

1 Like

And I want to add, I’m not sure how I am aware of Bruce — being here in the USA and all — but I am. He is the kind of person who has a personality so big that it seeps into your consciousness.

1 Like

:cry:

3 Likes