RIP. We'll miss you

That’s because she could (and did) pass for White. (Not that I blame her.)

Excellent points all; her genetics are not the same thing as her lived experiences.

No, she’s totally of African descent, biologically speaking… but that’s not the same as actually living the Black experience.

I say this as someone who had a relative on my mom’s side who was passing in the 1960’s, in Ohio… and when he was found out, he ended up murdered, ‘mysteriously.’ His murder was never solved.

I’d like to live in a society where none of our trivial differences matter… but I don’t ever expect to see it happen unless Xenomorphs invade or something equally horrific forces humanity to ‘get the fuck over it.’

That’s kind of an assumption; many Black folks would likely have accepted her (especially since she was successful) while some others would feel resentment because of her ability to pass, whether she was aware that she was doing so, or not.

That’s an issue that I’ve dealt with my whole life as an obviously biracial woman with pale skin and long, dark hair:

• There are Black folks who just accept me as is, and that’s the end of the story.

• There are Black folks who begrudgingly acknowledge my place in the community, but they are ‘funny-acting’ about it (making needless snide remarks, jokes that aren’t funny, and basic passive-aggressive bitchery.)

• Then there are self-hating Black folks who actively resent my existence altogether; out of their own self-loathing for their dark skin and tightly coiled hair, they willingly perpetuate negative stereotypes about both light and dark complected Black folks.

And White folks in general; let alone in my biological family?

Forget about it; though they were never blunt or direct about it, was always clear to me that I was not “one of them,” and never would be.

16 Likes

Yeah, exactly. Carol Channing would have known stories like this. Imagine having a secret so dangerous you could be killed for it.

10 Likes

I don’t have to imagine, sadly.

And CC is actually sort of fortunate in that regard; she didn’t find out about her heritage until a little later in life, so she wasn’t ‘living in fear’ that whole time she was growing up.

I am truly grateful that I’ve never had to hide who and what I am*.

*Not that I could have anyway, though. Some of my features are very Afrocentric.

11 Likes

True, but I’ll bet her mom was, worried for her.

So sad and so scary.

6 Likes

The feeling that you get when someone famous dies, and you thought that they died 40 years ago.

8 Likes
4 Likes

We’ve lost a national treasure: Mary Oliver.

To live in this world
you must be able
to do three things:

To love what is mortal;

To hold it against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;

And, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go

― Mary Oliver

11 Likes

Oh yes, she is a fabulous poet.

Was.

7 Likes

And here’s some Odyssey action:

11 Likes

OT, but a recent “Black-ish” episode talked about this: https://www.flare.com/tv-movies/blackish-colorism-episode-black-like-us/

2 Likes
9 Likes

And she could be serious too

3 Likes
11 Likes

Obligatory:

14 Likes
9 Likes

This is another Frawley flick worthy of mention. Kid Blue is a counter-culture-esque comedy western featuring Dennis Hopper as an outlaw who tries to go straight, with excellent work from hostile sheriff Ben Johnson, peyote inspired preacher Peter Boyle, and Greek obsessed Warren Oates. Despite what the video says not a children’s film.

7 Likes

RIP That Guy Dick Miller.

May he steal all the scenes in the hereafter.

7 Likes
8 Likes
11 Likes

Posted this at the Other place, too. He was my Congressman.

8 Likes