RIP. We'll miss you

9 Likes

Aw maaanā€¦ we really needed him.

5 Likes

When plainclothes policemen came to the Buenos Aires Heraldā€™s office brandishing machine guns, the newspaperā€™s staff knew they were coming.

It was 22 October 1975 and the police were looking for the small Argentine newspaperā€™s news editor, Andrew Graham-Yooll.

The staff kept calm and let the men in leather jackets storm around the office, waving their weapons around and making a show of destroying Graham-Yoollā€™s files from 10 years in the job. He was in their sights because he had attended press conferences for a guerrilla group. This made him a terrorist suspect, they said.

At the time, the military was tightening its grip on the country and was months away from claiming power in a coup. Anyone considered remotely subversive was being ā€œdisappearedā€ - kidnapped and then jailed or murdered.

Graham-Yooll was briefly whisked away in an unmarked car with his editor, Robert Cox, who had insisted on accompanying him. The pair later recalled how they were taken to a police department and held in a cell, where music from a full-volume radio could not block out the sounds of people screaming as they were tortured in the basementā€¦

8 Likes

I am very sad to report the death of Art Neville. I was fortunate to see the Neville Brothers and The Funky Meters play many times in New Orleans and elsewhere. This tribute to him - just breathtaking his career and itā€™s impact. The Meters played for The Beatles aboard The Queen Mary. He was a blessing on this earth.

15 Likes
11 Likes

I remember that guyā€™s name from watching launches back then. As a kid I thought it was a peculiar name. Iā€™m glad he saw the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11.

8 Likes

8 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! Thatā€™s what made his name seem odd.

Wow, he lived a long life. And the stuff heā€™s seen ā€“ ISS, the excursions to Mars, Ceres, Pluto, and so. If he was born in 1924, he was 2 years old when Goddard flew his first liquid fueled rocket.

9 Likes

Like tears in the rainā€¦

10 Likes

The dog skull has been placed.

5 Likes

I was just trying to recite the ā€œtears in the rainā€ speech from memory the other night.

Bad loss for us.

7 Likes

I didnā€™t see this until now. But I do like his books.

8 Likes

But she was more than Minnie Mouse. She was also the original Strawberry Shortcake and played numerous characters on the Simpsons, such as Martin and Sherri and Terri.

13 Likes
14 Likes

Dammit. Somewhat inevitable, but still a great loss.

10 Likes

I read Beloved for a class in college called Political Freedom. I started one late afternoon couldnā€™t stop reading, until it was morning and the book was finished. Then we had a class discussion, where many middle-class white kids had their assumptions shaken.

Itā€™s safe to say that Toni Morrisonā€™s Beloved changed me in ways I didnā€™t fully appreciate at 19. I wish it was required reading.

9 Likes

Yes. The mighty are falling. But then, they always do, and new ones rise to take their place. Itā€™s just that these are our mighty. (I was listening to a John McLaughlin track yesterday, one with the other surviving members of the original Tony Williams Lifetime at that time, namely Jack Bruce and Tony himself. Larry Young had already died when the track was cut. While I was listening, I came the rather depressing realisation that John is the only surviving member now. Even Allan Holdsworth from the next iteration of Lifetime has Left The Buildingā€¦ These were people who changed the way I hear things. They were among my mighty.)

4 Likes

Pip Pyle has also gone to the music studio in the sky. Boy, could he lay down the rhythms.

3 Likes

As has Jon Hiseman, who was my favourite British drummer.

If itā€™s inappropriate for me to repeat another memberā€™s news, I will delete this.

Iā€™ve been setting up my shiny new Twitter account when I remembered HRH Princess Perdita Pricklepants had an account. Naturally, I wanted to Follow her. Unfortunately, I found this:

:sob: :sob: :sob:

R.I.P. Perdita, First of Her Name Second of Her Line.

15 Likes