Roe vs Wade overturned

My wife posted this on social media this week:

I’ve hopefully obscured any identifying information.
Here’s the link she posted along with it:

7 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

When I lived in NC, I volunteered with a group that wanted to get a freestanding birth center attended by midwives. Midwives have to be overseen by a doctor, so one of the big things we needed was a doctor willing to be involved.

We learned of a couple of other centers that had actually opened and rapidly closed. We spoke with the people involved. What we learned was that the ob/guns carry very very expensive insurance. They live in fear of lawsuits. NC at that time was one of the more litigious states and we were losing on/guns altogether who wouldn’t risk practicing there.

We stopped focusing on opening a center after that and switched to education to support the midwives who were in the hospitals.

Anyway, the ob/guns really fear legal action bc lawsuits drive up their insurance rates to the point they are not affordable.

4 Likes

My best friend’s daughter has 2 frozen embryos in Alabama, so they are really nervous about whether they will be able to have a sibling for the child she is about to deliver.

She had a rough time getting pregnant and had to go through fertility treatments during Covid, which meant she couldn’t have her husband with her during the treatments.

They weren’t even ready to have kids yet, they had just gotten married, but even though she had been warning her doctors of her strong family history of endometriosis. But they still missed it and she ended up in a surgery where the doctor had to take an ovary. The other ovary was just barely spared. She had to speed up plans for pregnancy to immediate because otherwise she might not get pregnant at all.

Being in the middle of the Deep South, she may end up moving the embryos to Nee York or some place equally distant and traveling for treatments.

I had another friend who I met through my prenatal yoga class who was a devout Catholic. The baby she carried was conceived through IVF. She was 1 of 6 embryos. My friend had signed a waiver to have them all implanted, risking multiple pregnancies. She knew 3 were likely non viable, but could have ended up with triplets. It was all against doctor’s counsel but now that could be everyone who gets IVF’s pregnancy.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Banning it federally spites those who do “move”.

2 Likes

Remember the bumper sticker/t-shirt logo - “America: Love It or Leave It!”? I’m sure the senator has said that at some point in his life.

4 Likes
9 Likes

Yaaaaaaaay!!!

1 Like

Of course, it’s going to get appealed. But it’s an interesting stumbling block for things, and to come out of Florida, of all places…

5 Likes

It’s a great first-shot-across-the-bow, IMNSHO. Thanks for posting about it!

2 Likes

My wife’s social media post got noticed, which led to a brief interview with a reporter from NBC news, which aired yesterday.

Here’s the segment she appeared in:

ETA: I figured out how to download the entire stream, so I’ve replaced the phone camera footage with a clean clip of the broadcast.

4 Likes

Thank to her, and you, for getting more exposure for this!

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

I hate these cases. As if a 10 year old was not as innocent as a fetus.

4 Likes

A follow-up on this story.

2 Likes

“We swear an oath, ‘To support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic’ … Well, it’s time to start worrying about the domestic, because clearly we have more of a problem here than we do anywhere else,” Martin said

6 Likes