SCOTUS draft ruling leaked –– Roe vs Wade overturned

The law requires parental permission, and apparently she’s an orphan… The law isn’t an ass, it is a jackal.

6 Likes

A South Carolina lawmaker on Tuesday had to fight back tears as he explained that an anti-abortion law he’d voted for led to a young woman nearly losing her uterus, and even put her life at risk. Republican State Rep. Neal Collins told the state’s House Judiciary Committee that he’d lost sleep after learning about the case of a 19-year-old woman whose water broke after just 15 weeks of pregnancy.

3 Likes

Poor young woman; him, not so much. I wonder how real those tears were?

Lawdy, I’m much more cynical then I was when I was 17.

2 Likes

He feels sad. She is injured. I have no sympathy for him.

3 Likes

I made it to 40 before my cynicism kicked in. But wow have I become jaded since then.

Me before 40: “Okay, but let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. Let’s try to understand their point of view. They were doing what they thought was right. They meant well, but didn’t know any better.”

Me after 40: “Okay, but let’s give them the benefit of the flamethrower. Only sustained flame can purify the evil within them.”

I’m not particularly happy with that development. But I’ve approached it from multiple angles and they all seem to point to it being the most realistic and rational point of view.

I still try to be non-cynical, and not assume the worst of people but it gets harder and harder these days.

3 Likes

I don’t have sympathy for him, but it’s encouraging to see pushback from Republicans as well. Still needs to translate into action, but it’s a story that’s likely to have an impact.

3 Likes
4 Likes

It’s almost like these laws are about hating women and not at all about babies.

6 Likes

via jwz:

4 Likes

Elaine says her mother explained in more detail what had happened a few years afterward, when she was about 16.

"I just said, ‘Thank you,’ " she says. “There was just no question it was the right thing to do. No question. And I’m just so grateful that I had a mother and a doctor to get me out of that.”

When she reflects on it now, Elaine says she’s grateful for how her “very Catholic” mother, who died in 2010, handled an impossible situation. She says she understands that some people have strong moral objections to abortion. But to them, she says: “I’m here to tell you, in this kind of a situation you would throw out your religion in half a second. It’s easy to say what other people should do when it’s theoretical.”

5 Likes

I wanna know how the pro-lifers co-opted Susan B. Anthony’s name for the organization mentioned in the article!

2 Likes

From Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America - Wikipedia :

MacNair named the SBA List after the famous suffragist, Susan B. Anthony.[23] The leaders of the SBA List say that Anthony was “passionately pro-life”.[24][25]

The portrayal of Susan B. Anthony as a passionate opponent of abortion has been subject to a modern-day dispute. The National Susan B. Anthony Museum and House said, “The List’s assertions about Susan B. Anthony’s position on abortion are historically inaccurate.”[26] Anthony scholar Ann D. Gordon and Anthony biographer Lynn Sherr said that “Anthony spent no time on the politics of abortion. It was of no interest to her.”[8] According to Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the SBA List, Anthony “referred to abortion as ‘the horrible crime of child murder’”.[27][28] Gordon and Sherr said the “child-murder” quote attributed to Anthony actually appeared in an article written anonymously by someone else and that other quotes attributed to Anthony have been misattributed or taken out of context.[29] Gordon said that Anthony “never voiced an opinion about the sanctity of fetal life … and she never voiced an opinion about using the power of the state to require that pregnancies be brought to term”.[29] The Anthony Museum and House provided evidence for the idea that the author of the “child-murder” article was a man.

5 Likes

Thank you! Thank you very much!

1 Like

I’ve never seen any protesters in front of a men’s urology clinic, demanding that men should get vasectomies so women wouldn’t possibly have to get abortions.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/supreme-court-medicaid-section-1983

There’s a case which the supreme court may use to overturn the Civil Rights Act of 1871.

3 Likes

How will Uncle Thomas handle that? I mean, he’s Black - won’t that actually work against him?

Though Marcus Garvey met with KKK leaders; but how many Black Americans emigrated to Africa?

3 Likes

And we have one…cunt, I can’t call her anything else…who’s running for SecState and who thinks abortion is child sacrifice. All the GOP noms in MI seem to be off the fucking rails, her in particular.

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes