SCOTUS draft ruling leaked –– Roe vs Wade overturned

4 Likes

But perhaps Pelosi was merely speaking as a personal supporter. After all, it’s the actions of the whip that really show what the institutional party supports.

2 Likes

and eventually Loving v. Va.

4 Likes
1 Like

The Wash Po has a Q&A about this ban and it is really frightening to read it. TLDR: We are fucked.

2 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

From some time ago:

Hey, remember when the Biden Dems responded to Jan 6 by massively increasing funding for militarized policing in DC?

2 Likes

I’ve been debating whether to make Aliyah to Israel because I am just getting established here in TN, but when I read that these are the options being considered, that our senate still will not pass laws protecting women’s sovereignty over their own bodies, I see no other option.

5 Likes

Spending more time pondering Alito’s draft it becomes more and more apparent what a weak piece this is.

There has been much focus on the term “egregious”, that Roe was “egregiously” wrong from the start. That is an extremely willful and bias personal interpretation.

Alito makes comparisons to the past Scotus decisions that rendered “Seperate but Equal” OK, and the Scotus upholding the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII. What a baseless comparison. These are nothing like Roe v Wade. In both these instances Americans had their basic right seriously curtailed and restricted by the court decision, while in Roe an even broader class of Americans had their rights Affirmed and you could say expanded. How could a basic error such as taking away rights be compared to protecting rights?

Seriously, its because Alito equates abortion to murder. However he has not the courage to say that because its clearly a minor view, and to take away rights from half of Americans because of a thinly shared personal opinion is as EGREGIOUS as it sounds.

I’m not through. Later in the Draft Alito suggests that freedom of choice around abortion is akin to eugenics, a conspiracy to limit the population of minority Americans. Not only is this so plainly wrong - protecting the freedom to choose is not even remotely like forced sterilization of a persecuted segment of our citizens - NOT EVEN CLOSE. What this is perhaps one of the most offensive and racist things I’ve ever seen come out of a supposedly intelligent public figure.

Don’t let these things slip by. If a SCOTUS candidate ever uttered these things in a confirmation hearing I would expect them to be torn to shreds. Alito deserves nothing less. He is a HACK, at best, a sexist and a racist. We should be calling for his resignation.

6 Likes

Seems to me men like him are so afraid of women because they have the ability to carry and nurture another human life. If only they could experience it themselves - then they’d leave the whole process to us. Well, except for the conception part.

2 Likes

4 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

I saw a creator on TikTok who said that men see pregnancy as similar to how they see sex. Just like when the sex act is over when they ejaculate, the pregnancy is complete when they have contribute their portion. I thought it was a brilliant insight into a certain type of man’s mind.

4 Likes

There’s also a big theory that the abortion industry is sorely lacking new supply of tender white babies.

2 Likes

Alito’s weak reasoning pretty well obliterated here:

"Alito’s assertion that abortion rights don’t fall under the 14th Amendment, and that the Constitution makes no mention of abortion as a right, calls into question a wide range of other supposed rights for which no mention of any kind appears in the Constitution.

But under his rationale, the Constitution offers no spelled-out rights to the unborn. In fact, it specifically excludes the unborn from having rights under the very 14th Amendment that Alito dissects as the basis for the conservative majority’s opinion.

Consider the amendment’s opening phrase: “All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof …” followed by the stipulation that no state shall “deprive any person of life, liberty, or property,” without due legal process and equal protection. That opening paragraph specifically applies to women as a subset of all people who qualify as having been born — and it specifically does not apply to those who have not yet been born."

9 Likes

“Domestic supply of infants”

Domestic. Supply. of Infants?!?!?! Fuck, that’s dystopian

And this whole thread:

5 Likes