Smart Home experiment

What happens when you outfit a one-bedroom, 3 person (2 adults and a toddler) apartment with all the smart gadgets you could possibly use, and let them all run with the default security settings?

One thing: you’d better have unlimited data.

11 Likes

Right? These things sound like SO MUCH work for zero benefit.

9 Likes

Again, between Electric Dreams circa 1985 and 2001 Space Oddessy I have never felt any inkling of desire to have a computer run my home for me.

12 Likes

9 Likes

Whenever I visit someone who’s gone whole-hog on the smart home concept, I wander around talking to their devices “Alexa… open the pod bay doors please, HAL.” The results are often amusing.

7 Likes

The only time I’ve ever been in a house with a smart device was an AirBnB with a Nest thermometer.

My roommate and I came home drunk one night, I realized the thing looked like Hal, and we spent way too long laughing and yelling “Open the pod bay doors, Hal! Get me a beer, Hal!”.

The device does not take audio input, nor can it get me beer.

8 Likes

Then what good is it, huh?

12 Likes

Damn right!

I don’t mind having digital things in my home, but if I can avoid connecting them to the Net, I will.

5 Likes

Fuckin’ A.

Both my printer and my keyboard have wireless capability; I still ONLY use them via the USB ports.

5 Likes

Electric Dreams. I <3 that soundtrack.

3 Likes

You just made me so happy that someone else has seen that movie!

1 Like

I LOVE that movie. I watched it a few years ago with my daughter, fearing it’d be horribly outdated. But as it was created before computers could do most of the things they imagined, it was like a beautiful fantasy of what computers could be before they were much of anything to us. And the 80s music video movie format is still charming.

edited to add Also, the computer becomes sentient when the word processing program is open and champagne gets spilled on the computer. That’s just genius.

3 Likes

Here’s the follow-up with some of the methodology:

I’d like to do something like this in pfSense so I can spot where my relatively limited devices are leaking data.

2 Likes

6 Likes

what happens if another device needs to use the printer?

1 Like

I have the soundtrack too! Good movie, underrated.

It could do with a reboot now I think.

2 Likes

YES! the soundtrack is one of my all time favorites - used to own it on tape, then CD, now it’s in my cloud. Giorgio Moroder is a genius. My favorite track is The Duel. I love the mash up of electronic music with the pure sweet analog of the cello. After that Love is Love. It’s beautiful. After that all the rest. It’s all wonderful.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, the whole soundtrack is great!

1 Like

This is interesting.

3 Likes

Fixed etc.  

3 Likes