So I have discovered Steve Shives

Of course. I only meant that we could practically have a Steve Shives thread for each of those topics.

I actually don’t watch much of his Star Trek content for the same reason as I don’t participate in the thread here: Although I would consider myself a fan, I have fallen behind in a way that makes it nearly impossible to engage with the current discourse without spoiling anything.

Unless I’m remembering incorrectly, I think the last Star Trek content I really paid attention to was Enterprise. The standard response to that would probably be that I shouldn’t let that ruin it for me, but I actually think it’s underrated, especially the last season, with the exception of the finale:

1 Like

I tend to agree. It was a solid show… I think the opening song chased off a lot of folks!

Of the new series, they’re all pretty solid, but the least popular seems to be Picard. Shives is not a fan, as he feels it’s far too fan-servicey (he feels the same about the animated show Lower Decks)… I like it though. I do highly recommend both Discovery and Strange New Worlds. If you are a big fan of TOS, I’d especially recommend Strange New Worlds, as it’s basically classic trek, but with a budget and just a bit of interconnectedness of the storyline.

3 Likes

I should probably admit that my experience with TOS is weirdly sparse. I have a passing familiarity with the series as a whole, but have really only seen a handful of episodes in their entirety:

Most of my experience was with most/all of TNG, half-ish of DS9, and all of Enterprise. I have a number of gaps to fill before I even get to any of the newer shows/movies.

4 Likes

All things - except for Stuffy (and Friends), I’ve no clue what that is, and wrestling, lol - that have been discussed during my life in my family. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I was so immersed in it as a child…I hate to admit that I had a huge crush on Kirk!

1 Like

Oh, fix that one quickly. Easily my favorite series of Trek, hands down. I’m sure that Shives has a video about why that’s the case (cause he agrees with me!).

2 Likes

I just finished that and didn’t really care for it beyond the nostalgia.

I am liking Discovery a lot and I did find the couple episodes of Lower Decks I watched funny.

2 Likes

Steve makes videos with a group of stuffed animals. Here’s an example:

1 Like
2 Likes

This is a great break-down on the Maquis:

2 Likes
2 Likes

And here is a recent review of the Bar Association episode of DS9:

Which includes a dig at scab Robert Beltran…

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes

I only became aware of Steve Shives a month or two ago and I’ve since been regularly watching his videos. He’s quickly become one of my favorite YouTube creators.

2 Likes

Me too… Him, Jessie Gender, FD Signifier, Kaz Rowe, Maggie Mae Fish, Lil’ Bill…

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

So good.

3 Likes