So who did we elect this year?

3 Likes

One might not need experience to become president, but I think the jury is still out on whether a no-experience president can actually perform the job duties adequately, and manage to refrain from killing off humanity entirely.

That said, I’m certain Oprah would do a better job than a decaying cheeto with inadequacy issues and an overwhelming need to swing his dick around.

12 Likes

10 Likes

If all Donald has done is inspired more unqualified people to run for President, his legacy of incompetence will last far beyond his next four years.

13 Likes

At least you guys get to vote for the person who controls the Western world. Most of us don’t get to vote even though the US tells us what to do. All those Americans who can’t be bothered to vote should just hand their vote to a representative European. That would have kept Trump out.

16 Likes

The topic is assuming the world will still be in existence in the next five-months-short-of-four years.

9 Likes

Oh, the world will still be in existence. No matter what we manage to do there’s stuff in the deep oceans that could survive the entire nuclear arsenal going off, and it won’t even rock the planet - Yellowstone going bang might have more effect.

Us - different matter. Species extinction happens all the time, and we’ve caused enough of it ourselves not really to deserve a special exemption.

15 Likes

Thanks, my friend, for the clarification! I can be so imprecise at times.

8 Likes

Ok. Left field, but here we go:
Joe Biden with either Cory Booker of Elizabeth Warren as VP.

?

4 Likes

Won’t Drunkle Joe be too old by then?

Not that I’d be against it, but he may be too human to handle the job.

5 Likes

Why does it seem like everyone likes Joe Biden?

4 Likes

Besides the funny memes?

5 Likes

Obviously, was can only speak for myself, but:

1. Joe seems to care about stuff.
  2. He’s got a sharp tongue.
8 Likes

I think it’s more that I make a point of being literal minded.
Of course, if we all die then the world will indeed have ceased to exist as far as the human race is concerned. But the evidence suggests that one day homo sapiens will indeed be extinct - as Tennyson wrote 9 years before The Evolution etc.
From scarped cliff or quarried stone
She [nature] cries "A thousand types are gone
I care for nothing; all shall go."
Progressive educated Victorians of the era were just coming round to realise that the implications of the fossil record was that species did indeed become extinct - and that could apply to us. It must have been mind bending to get your head around the idea that a god had not designed the Earth for our benefit.

7 Likes

Warren seems like the most likely front runner to me. In 2020 people are going to be looking for someone with a bit more vision than the establishment Democrats who handed the election to Trump, and (aside, perhaps, from Sanders) she’s the most outspoken party insurgent. To most people Biden would represent a return to the Clinton/Obama status quo.

(I’m still not ready to give up on the head of cabbage, though)

9 Likes

I’d vote for Warren in a heart beat but losing her from the senate would be a big loss.

11 Likes

Also, he’s been through a lot of personal tragedy; folks can relate to that. And he’s managed to stick around for quite some time; he was a junior senator when Nixon was still in office, which I think confers “elder statesman” status upon him.

7 Likes

Oh…what’s that one Tennyson poem, “Locksley Hall”, it was Truman’s favorite poem, this secton in particular:

"For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;

Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;

Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain’d a ghastly dew
From the nations’ airy navies grappling in the central blue;

Far along the world-wide whisper of the south-wind rushing warm,
With the standards of the peoples plunging thro’ the thunder-storm;

Till the war-drum throbb’d no longer, and the battle-flags were furl’d
In the Parliament of man, the Federation of the world.

There the common sense of most shall hold a fretful realm in awe,
And the kindly earth shall slumber, lapt in universal law."

5 Likes

Warren Warren 2020!

Warren Buffett POTUS, Elizabeth Warren VP.

Something for everyone…

7 Likes

I’d really like it if the next POTUS was not a baby boomer. Nothing against either Warren, of course.

10 Likes