So who did we elect this year?

Do we really need another ultra-rich person in there? He’s still going to be a representative of the ruling class, no matter how centrist his public views are.

10 Likes

FDR was able to do some good. Regrettably, I have to go back almost a century to find one, so I see your point.

10 Likes

Normally, I would say that you’re right; my ideal candidate would be Chomsky. That said, given how much the overton window has shifted recently, I think Buffett would be an ideal counterfoil to Trump’s supposed business acumen.

Let him run against an actual successful businessman who releases his tax records and is transparent.

12 Likes

Buffet is still further left than we have had in the Oval Office since Carter, though that is more a statement about who has been in office than a statement about Buffet.

15 Likes

I was a big fan of Lessig during the last election, even though I knew he’d go absolutely nowhere in the primaries. He wasn’t even allowed into the debates.

Also, there’s no way the average American would understand Lessig’s ideas for a referendum presidency to get money out of politics, and it’s way easier said than done, but it’s good food for thought.

6 Likes

No idea.

He’s blatantly corrupt, and his legislative career is a legacy of collaboration with evil.

http://www.alternet.org/media/hbos-confirmation-joe-bidens-darkest-day-vilification-anita-hill

8 Likes

My hero, Sally Yates

11 Likes

I was hugely disappointed in Franken for towing the DNC neoliberal line. I hoped he would break ranks and support Sanders. In the past I would have supported him, but now I think he’s a sellout.

5 Likes

He’s relatable, and would have done great against Trump. But if we are going to have somebody that old, better Sanders.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t care for Sanders, so that didn’t bother me.

This has nothing to do with Sanders except Sanders being the only other choice on the table. Rather its about Franken not objecting to the sell out of the DNC to corporate and financial powers, and their abandonment of representing the working class in our government. He’s convivial with the position that the working class is destined to be powerless in our governance and will never have a say. Not throwing them to the dogs the way that the GOP does, but certainly not going to bat for them in any way that shifts the balance of power away from the wealthy entitled and powerful corporations.

I have to see Franken renounce this in a meaningful way. Right now he’s just part of the DNC establishment that drove us over this cliff named Trump.

6 Likes

Al Franken has really been a staunch opponent of voter suppression, which is how we got Trump. Minorities were prevented from voting. Whites didn’t vote for Trump because of the economy; they did it because they are racist.

There is no amount of messaging or promising coal jobs that could have won the Democrats the white vote after a black Democrat was the president. There’s just no way.

3 Likes

Buffett will be ninety years old on election day 2020, so that’s that. But otherwise he’s not only a successful businessman​ who has already released all 72 of his tax returns, but he’s famously big on public school, to the point of seriously suggesting outlawing private schools just to force the rich to invest in public schools. He attended public school himself, and all his kids and grandkids did too. Even rode the bus to get there every day.

My kinda zillionaire. I’d share a Cherry Coke with the guy.

16 Likes

Buffet has an incredible brand, but less accomplishment when you stop measuring his pile of shit. His grave will contain a few certificates and a great brand. He’ll still be dead and his fractional ownerships will still be an awful sideshow of corporate greed and authoritarian devotion to profit.

4 Likes

Well, when it comes down to it, for over half a century he’s been simply amassing wealth. Sure, he spends lots on philanthropy now, and even more once he’s dead, but surely those billions could have been put to great philanthropic use all this time, instead of sitting in his various accounts, multiplying. That’s kind of how I feel about any zillionaire, however philanthropic. There’s something fundamentally wrong about amassing that much wealth in the first place.

15 Likes

Jimmy Fuckin’ Buffet. I had an angry alcoholic roommate one summer - the kind of guy who would punch down doors when he was in a rager - who was a huge Buffet fan, especially when he was tying one on. To this day I get the shudders at the opening bars of Margaritaville. Thanks for nothing Jimmy Buffet!

6 Likes

Warren, not Jimmy.

Belligerent drunks love Jimmy Buffett.

7 Likes

Jimmy vs. Warren would make a great presidential campaign season.

10 Likes

Then comes the catering debate do you want to go for a buffet?

2 Likes

Competitive roasting of the candidates as the lightning round.

4 Likes