So who did we elect this year?

I bet if Hillary Clinton had won with the same kind of popular vs. electoral college difference they would be falling all over themselves to pass the bill.:rage:

6 Likes

There aren’t enough rusty chainsaws in the known universe to fuck that guy sideways with.

8 Likes

So happy to see Elizabeth Warren gearing up to run. I love her and love that she is a strong woman leader who is not tied to a powerful husband.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/warren-releases-dna-test-suggesting-distant-native-american-ancestor/2018/10/15/187ce196-d060-11e8-8c22-fa2ef74bd6d6_story.html?utm_term=.a3a5e0faca28

7 Likes

But at the same time, what absolute garbage that being a Democratic candidate means having to release your very DNA and birth records, things that are nobody’s business, thanks to the bullying of a fraudulent helminthic bolus that wasn’t even held to disclosing its own taxes.

15 Likes

That, and DNA tests are hard to interpret. Graham Coop has several great blog posts on the topic, one of which I’ve linked here. Linking that genetic info to a racial identity is even harder.

I feel for Elizabeth Warren. Donald Trump is a bad enemy because he has no shame or decorum, and that is hard to beat. Trying to fight a pig et al. But I can’t help but think this attempt further muddies the waters.

Edit: racial at the end of para one should read ethnic.

12 Likes

And severely annoyed the Native American / First Nations activist community.

5 Likes

Right, thanks for amplifying that Kim TallBeat tweet I linked. It’s important stuff.

Is anyone who wasn’t going to vote for Warren yesterday going to today? I’d be a little surprised. Was anyone who was now going to decline? I wouldn’t be as surprised.

2 Likes

“The only things the US Government quantifies by blood: dogs, horses, and [indigenous people]”

• unknown
7 Likes

Whoops, sorry; I failed to notice that you’d already posted that one.

Yup.

7 Likes

Hmm. Never heard of this guy before…

Pete Buttigieg (pronounced boot-uh-judge, according to 538).

https://www.jfklibrary.org/learn/education/profile-in-courage-essay-contest/past-winning-essays/2000-winning-essay-by-peter-buttigieg

5 Likes

Where are they getting the -h-, the -j-, and the -e?

The “h” in “-uh-” is probably meant to indicate that it’s a schwa (pronounced like the “u” in “numb”), and not pronounced like the “oo” in “cool” or the “u” in “use” (a close back rounded vowel).

The “-e” is probably meant to indicate a soft “g” (IPA d͡ʒ) rather than a hard one (“judj” rather than “jug”).

As for why each “g” is pronounced as a voiced postalveolar affricate rather than a voiced velar stop, I think that’s because the Maltese alphabet pronounces the letter “j” as a voiced palatal approximant (the “y” in “yes”), so their notation for a voiced postalveolar affricate is “ġ,” and the diacritic was lost upon immigration to the US.

Edit to add: this is where 538 got the pronunciation from:

4 Likes

i had heard of him, since any openly gay person winning an election shows up on my personal radar, but i had kind of forgotten about him – which i guess says a lot: he’s doing his job, staying off the national “controversy” radar, and that improves his likeability among voters. i’m amazed he was able to get elected (soundly!) in Pence country. he certainly looks good on paper, that’s for sure. i like how that article ends, too – even if he tries and loses, he wins, because every attempt he’s made and lost only boosted his recognition among a wider audience. he’s young, he’s got time. if not 2020, then 2024.

6 Likes

He appears to be a fairly standard Obama/DNC aligned corporate Dem. They’ve been hyping him as “the future of the party” since 2017.

8 Likes

He has a funny name that isn’t pronounced the way it’s spelled.

I think that makes him unelectable.

Edit: They said Hillary was the future of the party too. So many futures, which reality are we in?

8 Likes

UnfortunatelyI think you’re right. I’m still amazed a guy named Barack Obama got elected, but his name is easy to pronounce and spell. Even then it was Barack, Ba-ROCK, and a bunch of alternatives.

4 Likes

I don’t know but I don’t think the writers fully thought this one through before they began the story arc. Can we get an apocalyptic finale and reboot already? I’m tired of plot twists for the sake of plot twists…

8 Likes

As long as they don’t recast my role…

8 Likes

Not linking to this shit.

5 Likes

But…it’s “Uncle Joe, Obama’s bro.”

He’s folksy.

He’ll bring in those blue collar voters.

And white.

And male.

So, really, who else is there?

5 Likes